Brand new laptop smells like burning suddenly

Suwadith

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Just bought a new Dell inspiron 5559 i7 6th Gen laptop recently. It's just been a week since I purchased it. Yesterday suddenly when I was gaming it started to smell. I was playing FIFA 14 at low settings. It never happened before. But I checked the temperatures on CPUID's HW monitor and showed my processor was heating up to 70C while gaming. But all the other temps were around 30C and the whole laptop temp was also around 30C. I didn't remove lap to check anything cause it has warranty. I'm just away from the city. I'll be heading back there soon. Is this a major prob?

And I did check the adaptor's temperature. And it was fine as well.

Suwadith

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
nope nothing mate. not at all. it's just that the fan starts to spin a lot and creates a bit of spinning sound. but nothing like stuttering or something. like pushing a load of air stuff. and i'm not sure whether the smell is actually burning or the release of the scent of a pack of new hardware inside the laptop.

The White Death

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015
Well, usually if a laptop was overheating it would shut off after using it for awhile or fairly quickly while gaming. Just check around the laptop see if you can see any problems like melted plastic or anything like that. If it does start shutting off or running slow then I'd get pretty worried. If you are concerned about it I'd just check in with the store you bought from since you have the warranty still.

Suwadith

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
I see nothing like that at all mate. temperature is quite steady and always stays below 80C no matter how long I game. its just a load of paint job is being done in my home. I'm not even sure whether this smell is actually connected to that.

The White Death

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015
Well, i guess problem solved for the time being. If anything worse happens or if you continue to notice the burning smell after you have no other explanation then id bring it back to the store.

Suwadith

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
This can't be true.
Capture.png

look at my GPU temp.