Brand new Sony TV with brand new sound bar HDMI3-ARC not communicating

efherrington

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017
We just bought a new 55" Sony Smart TV and sound bar that, according to both Sony and the salesman, work together. We have precisely followed the set-up instructions, but the sound will not come through the sound bar. We get a message, "switch to TV." We spent over an hour on-line with a Sony troubleshooter who told us to return the TV because it was not recognizing the HDMI-3ARC. So we returned the TV and the sound bar, and everything, and got an identical system that, according to the salesperson, would work. In fact, the store did a diagnostic test and said that, despite what the Sony troubleshooter said, nothing was wrong with the TV. Got it home, set it up, and still does not work!!! Called the store and they suggested that maybe we should purchase another HDMI-3Arc cable and not use the cable that came with the Sony system--that the Sony cable is a bit of hybrid. Anyone know about this? Thank you.

Solution
I also have no clue what a "hybrid" HDMI cable is. Does it have an optical cable as well has HDMI in a single sleeve?
Did you turn ARC on in the TV menu? You may also have to turn the TV speakers off and change the audio output type in the TV menu.
If you can't get it working I would suggest you use the optical output of the TV instead of the HDMI-ARC connection. No downside in sound quality. You may also have to configure the TV to use the optical out. Check the TV manual.
I also have no clue what a "hybrid" HDMI cable is. Does it have an optical cable as well has HDMI in a single sleeve?
Did you turn ARC on in the TV menu? You may also have to turn the TV speakers off and change the audio output type in the TV menu.
If you can't get it working I would suggest you use the optical output of the TV instead of the HDMI-ARC connection. No downside in sound quality. You may also have to configure the TV to use the optical out. Check the TV manual.

Solution
Apr 21, 2018
Was wondering if you found a solution. We are having the same problem and I don’t really want to pay $150 to get someone to come to the house and set it up. I have never had this problem before.