Broken screen, auto boot in safe mode, now can't see

Pito__64

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
I have a Dell Windows 10 laptop with a destroyed screen. I've been using my Acer monitor TV as an external display via HDMI. I some how caught a virus and my anti virus software didn't detect it, so I couldn't remove it. I set my laptop to automaticly boot into safe mode using Win+R> typing msconfig> checking box to automaticly boot in safe mode. I now cannot see anything. I need to restore my laptop (not sure how) or some way download a new anti virus program to remove this virus! I'm using hotspot off my phone for internet and the virus has dramaticly slowed down my computer. I heard about blind navigation from another thread, that may work...

•I have a login password set
•I was using avast anti virus (FREE)
•you cannot use an external display in safe mode
•I don't really know much about computers, probably obvious...

Solution
Since you set the safe mode in msconfig and not at boot, it's not going to boot in safe mode every time. Try hitting F8 right after the BIOS screen comes up and see if it will get you an image so you can select normal mode.

Another option is that if you set it to safe mode with networking then you can remote into the system using another computer and turn off the safe mode, but you will have to know the IP or name of the computer. You can probably get the IP from the router under connected devices.

Otherwise you need to either start over with a clean Windows setup or replace the screen.
Since you set the safe mode in msconfig and not at boot, it's not going to boot in safe mode every time. Try hitting F8 right after the BIOS screen comes up and see if it will get you an image so you can select normal mode.

Another option is that if you set it to safe mode with networking then you can remote into the system using another computer and turn off the safe mode, but you will have to know the IP or name of the computer. You can probably get the IP from the router under connected devices.

Otherwise you need to either start over with a clean Windows setup or replace the screen.

Solution