BSOD's after updating Nvidia drivers! High Temps too! [ASUS GL552VW]

Apr 1, 2018
Hello eveybody.

It all started almost a week ago when I updated the Nvidia drivers for my laptop graphic card.

Since then, I've been experiencing a lot of types of BSOD (blue screen of death), to what I think it is with the Nvidia graphics card.

The BSOD are DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE, other times when navigating using chrome shows a BSOD with VIDEO MEMORY MANAGEMENT INTERNAL.
One time was VIDEO TDR FAILURE.

I read that it happens, when the Nvidia graphics card goes to "sleep", then receives the order to go back to work, that's when the problem occurs. I set NVidia to maximum performance, to a workaround, but keep getting the VIDEO MEMORY MANAGEMENT INTERNAL BSOD.

So, I reinstalled the drivers, no results. Installed the drivers from the manufacturer, still no results. (all with DDU). I even reinstalled windows. Same thing. Tried reflashing the bios. Nothing.

Another curious thing is that since that moment when the BSOD's started to happen, the CPU temperatures started to get crazy high, when navigating on chrome, from 40—55°C spikes to almost 85-95°C, then go down, with the fans running at ~3000 rpm. Every thing I do that takes cpu goes to a 90°C spike.

Before this, this was not a problem. I always checked the Temps. I tried playing CSGO and the temps of core 0 and 1 oscillate between 90—99, and core 2 and 3 goes from 79-89, causing the game to stutter. At idle the Temps goes from 40-50° C.

Before the driver update, the temps were normal, with no stutter, that's why I think that it can't be the thermal paste or the fan, because the temps started to happen from one day to another.

I've been on this almost a week now and I don't know what to do!

My laptop: ASUS GL552VW/G552VW
Nvidia GeForce 960M 4GB
Intel graphics HD 530
16GB RAM
WINDOWS 10 x64

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Do you have warranty left? Looks like you need to replace thermal paste / fan. I would suggest gc gelid extreme or NT-H1. If your getting to tjunction (100c) and start throttling this have nothing to do with drivers.

Both your GPU and CPU are integrated to motherboard and close to each other and cooled by same fans or fan.
Here is a video of disassembly (only if your out of warranty) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN5Ag73Yd0g

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
i copy this when i posted in another thread :

Get some isoprophyl alcohol more percentage is better like 80% or more. Use qtips or wipes dipped into isoprophyl alcohol to clean processor /gpu and ALSO heatisink which touches them good. You can scratch heatsink with force but more gently when dealing with motherboard chips. After heatsink is completely clean and gpu and cpu cores shine apply thermal paste, you can use more than a drop like they say because its not dekstop chip with heat spreader.

Use plenty and then screw heatsink pretty tight, dont go overboard and break motherboard when screwing, just that screws lock in tightly

When your doing it clean fan and that side of laptop case of any dirt you can see, you can disassembly fan from its case to clean it more proper.

EDIT: apply thermal paste after all alcohol is evaporated from heatsink and cpu / gpu

Apr 1, 2018

But that would explain the blue screens? it seems odd that this began to happen when I updated the drivers.
Before, my temps were OK, never had a stutter, neither spikes of temps using chrome or anything. The fan speed was normal, not noisy. That's why i can't explain the nature of the problem, because it all started with a driver update.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
If you updated bios this can happen since it can update fan profiles and vbios but im pretty sure video driver update cant cause this. Altough you can try it to peace your mind. Download DDU , search google its display driver unisntaller then go to manufactor site : https://www.asus.com/fi/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-GL552VW/HelpDesk_Download/

And from VGA download nvidia driver and if you have also intel HD 530 in your laptop download latest intel driver aswell. Put these files to desktop

Then boot into safe mode with networking with F8 during startup ( search google how to get to safe mode )
Open ddu and select first nvidia drivers from right side then press clean and restart (recommended) wait until it finishes it will automatically shutddown pc. Then start windows and install your NVIDIA driver from desktop which you just downloaded. Test if problem dissappears if not then go safe mode again and open DDU, now select intel from right side and clean and restart. After it shuttdown and you restart to windows install your downloaded intel drivers from desktop. If one intel driver works bad you can download the 2nd version from manufactor website and do same thing again

Apr 1, 2018

Unfortunately, I did do that with no results. Complete reinstall of intel then nvidia using DDU, using the manufacturer (ASUS) driver.
I updated BIOS before reinstall all drivers, because of that problem of temps, and the BSOD's, that were pointing at a corrupted driver :/
The temps were never a problem before all of this. :/

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Then get some gc gelid extreme and isoprophyl alcohol and read my 1st and 2nd msg.. if its out of warranty and you can disassembly it. Otherwise take to tech shop and let them do it, dont think its that expensive.

Apr 1, 2018

I wanted to rule out all driver and software possibilites before starting to open the laptop itself. But I think that is time to consider that option. My question is, can temperature cause those BSOD?

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Yes absolutely it can and in the longer run you risk killing your motherboard because gpu is also integrated near cpu. Just when disassemblying look closely for youtube video guide and always before removing part dont use too much force look that you have removed all the screws. Following a guide it will be easy.

Just dont rush it and clean everything well. You can open up the fan it usually has 2 tiny screws so you can clean it better and remove all dirt from laptop back case aswell while your at it.

There is guides also how to clean laptop heatsink and cpu with isoprophyl alcohol look youtube and how much to add thermal paste.

May 2, 2018
Fagetti's solutions suck! It had nothing to do with hardware, google for Nvidia's posts about it: it's a software issue and they are working on a solution. Meanwhile go to safe mode, uninstall the Nvidia driver and install a previous driver that works. Keep your pc / laptop from updating that driver. I'm having the same issue. Good luck :)

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Sorry nlsperber, i was assuming its temperature with quick reading. When i read this thread more carefully i can see he was talking about processor temperatures, i was thinking hes hitting 90-99c for GPU which can cause shutddown. Glad you had same laptop and could identify problem nice solution :)

Still 95c on cpu when using chrome is not a good thing, or maybe this laptop model is just running crazy hot. What temperatures are you getting for cpu / gpu under load nlsperber so he can compare?

Jeffery Okada

Estimable
Sep 6, 2014

I have the EXACT same issue. I have the gx501xi. I updated the gpu driver and bluesceen about 30 sec into login. I uninstalled and removed the nvidia driver and that allowed me login to troubleshoot. Haven't had alot of time but I will update today a solution hopefully.

Fyi. The cpu temps are normal for this laptop. Some users claim adding thermal grizzly gets them down to 85c on cpu temp.

Jul 30, 2018
I'm having the exact same issue with exact same model of this crappy asus laptop. Changed thermal paste, cleaned fan myself, didn't work. Sent it to Asus, they replaced the motherboard, still hitting over 90C fairly quickly. I would say that it's because of a poor design choice in cooling but it didn't use to do this. I currently undervolt my CPU -0.150V and it won't go over 88C while at full use.
The only reliable %100 solution you have is to replace your thermal paste with a high conductivity liquid metal paste. It will make a huge difference. I'll do the same soon.

I guess this is something like Apple slowing down older devices deliberately just because well, they're old.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
enesbatuhantan: Sounds so frustrating to get motherboard replacement and still hit same issue, be careful with liquid metal and use enough time for applying because not one drop can end up in any components it could ruin your board.
Another thing to consider is having laptop cooling pad, here are some reviews : https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-laptop-coolers
I have multiple of "Kootek Cooler Pad Chill Mat 5 " cooling pads and those work pretty well decreasing temperature and are cheap. If your not from USA then you might look other models since those ship only from there.

Lastly, you could use thermal pads to dissipate the heat from motherboard to laptop back case ( or front case but this will cause hotter keyboard), depending on how your laptop is designed, here is a video of one guy doing it to macbook: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtLJGeNlzYQ