Build my own laptop/notebook

I know Xotic PC allows you to buy barebone systems from their website. For the most part barebone systems come as a kit including the laptop itself, the screen, motherboard, disk drive and video(if it's an option). Thus leaving it up to you to buy RAM, a HDD, and the CPU. Most people don't go through the hassle of building it themselves because laptops are nowhere near as easy to work on as desktops. If you are willing to put in the time and effort, power to you. I'm not too sure of any other barebone dealers, most build an actual system for you. Barebone laptops that I have seen, if you want to do more research, are ASUS, Compal and MSI.

FYI: most system builders like Dell, HP and cyberpower, do exactly what you are doing. They buy barebone laptop systems and add parts to customer order.

cfisherrktk

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
rjtech.com sells barebone rigs. You buy the components seperately. Please note though that by the time you get everything, you really haven't saved any money and there isn't much in the way of a warranty.. you just know exactly what's inside.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I can confirm that.
Believe me, after sending about 5 notebooks back in the last 2 months with dead pixels, 1 literally blown up video card, DOA hard drives, malfunctioning keyboards, cracked cases etc... you need a little bit of luck to make it happen and to keep it happening after it is built.

It is an awful big investment to take that risk on.
If it works, it is a good thing, if it doesn't you'll have some good stories to share about the ordeal and who's warranty means what.

Chris can also tell you about a company he bought his notebook from that upgraded him from a 7900 to 7950 GTX when they came out for the price difference, plus any future upgrades to the design.

cfisherrktk

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Chris can also tell you about a company he bought his notebook from that upgraded him from a 7900 to 7950 GTX when they came out for the price difference, plus any future upgrades to the design.
Mark's way of way of telling ya all I have a KN and he'll contact you if there is a worthwhile performance upgrade :lol:.. The upgrades have been cheap (as in shipping cost more)... and I still have the warranty..

I should also note that once I priced out a rjtech rig. It would of been cheaper to get a pre-configured rig from newegg and just buy the better cpu outright.

There's also not a lot you can "build".. cpu, hd, ram, and some accessories are about it... some have gpu options, but even those options are severely limited. It's not like a desktop where you pick a mobo and their features, get into coolers and gpu options... and finding tech writeups for "features" such as the power source, southbridge, raid capabilites, benchmarks, etc are just not around to help you decide what chassis to use as a basis..

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
And you'll get a really good idea of what the distributors middle finger looks like if as an individual purchaser you have a replacement issue.

Kind of like Galactus, "Puny humans are beneath my notice."