Building a floor standing speaker adivce?

Ptldkid

Estimable
May 11, 2015
So I plan on building a full range speaker with probably a low powered 12 inch woofer, 2 mids, and of course 2, maybe three, highs (tweeters).

So I was thinking the most logical rout is to put a passive crossover on the inside of the box, but those can kill power so I thinking of going a step further.

My receiver has RCA inputs for active loud speakers. Can I get a driver to make it powered speaker? How would I look for one, and should I be concerned about an unequal power distribution?

Is there another technique or way to be able to hook them up traditionally? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
If your receiver has RCA audio outputs labeled pre out you can connect a powered speaker.
If you want to avoid a passive crossover you will need an active electronic crossover and 3 separate amps for each cabinet (or 6 channels of power outside the cabinet).
I would suggest checking out
www.parts-express.com
and their speaker building forum for parts and advise. They have a variety of drivers, cabinets, crossovers and amplifier options.
If your receiver has RCA audio outputs labeled pre out you can connect a powered speaker.
If you want to avoid a passive crossover you will need an active electronic crossover and 3 separate amps for each cabinet (or 6 channels of power outside the cabinet).
I would suggest checking out
www.parts-express.com
and their speaker building forum for parts and advise. They have a variety of drivers, cabinets, crossovers and amplifier options.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS