Burning plastic smell coming from PC

Milos_10

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
So when im playing games(its summer) i smell some kind of burning smell(just when i open my sidepanel)
Why is this ,cpu temps are NORMAL from 40 to 60C and GPU temps are also normal going up to 66C
My psu is Evga 500b
and my GPU is RX460
pls halp
i dont have any case fans.

Solution

It could be. Depends on what it is. For example, some motherboards have plastic covers on heatsinks, and if such thing would produce smell, it's not dangerous. But if you have a cable that melts, once the wire protection is gone it could short out, blasting whole PC.

DRagor

Estimable
Jan 23, 2017
It could be your motherboard or it could be PSU. It could even be a piece of cable touching some hot area (like CPU heatsink). It could even be dust burning if your case has a lot of it. You should try to track the source of this smell, otherwise it would be rather hard to help you.

RaDiKaL_

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Well the EVGA 500b is from their low quality series with cheap internal components so it wouldn't be a surprise that it is indeed the source of the smell, for now check if there's some cable touching some hot component like DRagor said.

DRagor

Estimable
Jan 23, 2017

It could be. Depends on what it is. For example, some motherboards have plastic covers on heatsinks, and if such thing would produce smell, it's not dangerous. But if you have a cable that melts, once the wire protection is gone it could short out, blasting whole PC.

Solution