Buying a gaming laptop

Noahliscord

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014
Hey guys!
So I am looking for a new laptop to game on. I want to be able to play any of the Total War games, Arma 3, Battlefield, overwatch, Civ 6. I can spend no more than $2000 on it. I was told that MSI was good and so I went on and thought that these looked really good:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154286

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233175

I liked them both but was leaning towards the MSI. Wondering if you guy approve or if I should get something else?

Solution

You have the same exact budget as I do, and I'm building my laptop as we speak (while simultaneously looking for advice on this forum). With the budget we have, and similar taste in games (minus Overwatch lol but...

ADrunkBunny

Estimable
Jan 17, 2016
Both of them are pretty similar. The gigabyte one has a 256 ssd while the msi has a 128gb ssd. The gigabyte laptop also gives you a free backpack if you need it. The gigabyte is also lighter by 2 pounds. In my opinion I will choose the msi because it looks wayyyyy better.

Cmlalibe

Estimable
Sep 14, 2014
Why no build a desktop that will run circles around any gaming laptop (4k 60fps, 256 ssd, yadda yadda yadd) then with the saved money just but a second laptop that doesn't weight a ton?
Just an idea.

jbgarcia

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015

You have the same exact budget as I do, and I'm building my laptop as we speak (while simultaneously looking for advice on this forum). With the budget we have, and similar taste in games (minus Overwatch lol but that's just me), a slightly better laptop can be had. Buy it from XoticPC customized, I have for years and I can vouch for the quality. By the way, my brand of choice is Sager because they have better cooling than most (MSI has similar quality) and they have been improving on aesthetics. Anyway, here is my build, likely final:

Sager NP8173-S
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8173s-clevo-p670rs.html

Check out the page full of descriptions and images first, then scroll back up to customize (gray button not red).

Main specs:

17.3" 1080p G-sync display, IPS with matte finish (reduces glare).
Intel Core i7-8620HK cpu (slightly faster than 6700HQ, but overclockable to 4.0 GHz)
Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB gpu
16 GB DDR4 2400MHz memory
512 GB Sandisk X400 M.2 SSD (under M.2 slot, may be faster than traditional SSD in 2.5" bay, and saves a few bucks)
1 TB 7200 RPM HDD (under 2.5" Bay 1)
Intel Dual Band AC 8260 wireless card (More reliable than Killer card, people have had connectivity issues with Killer)
IC Diamond Thermal Compound (will keep your components a bit cooler, especially if you ever overclock CPU or GPU)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Free ground shipping

NO DVD drive.

Total price: $1,999
If you pay with cash/debit/paypal (so not with credit or financing), you get 3% off which lowers the price to $1,939.

One thing to note: Xotic takes a while to ship because they do quality and stress testing and benchmarking to make sure you don't get a dud or underperforming laptop. You may have to wait up to 3 weeks for your laptop, maybe more if you get the 6820HK because it's backordered. But you can spring $50 to rush build it and you won't have to wait that long, up to you.

Also, if you don't plan on ever overclocking your CPU, or if you don't want to wait the extra 11 days or so until the 6820K cpu is available (or both), you can just get the default 6700HQ (like on your builds you linked to) and save $125, bringing the total down to $1,874, or $1,818 with the discount for paying in cash/debit/paypal. You can save that cash, or maybe spring for the 1 TB SSD if you feel you need it.

Solution