Dec 4, 2014
Hi everyone.

I am planning on buying a new camera and I want a decent one because I do a lot of travelling and would like a DSLR.

What I require is a camera that has the option to take photos in Raw, can shoot movies in 1080p, can take amazing night shots, has at least 30X manual zoom and runs off AAA or AA batteries.

Does anyone have any ideas. I am looking to spend up to potentially up to 1500 US dollars though I would not mind paying a little less if I can.

I am a bit lost, I do not really know where to start to be honest because there are so many different options to choose from. I currently have a Fujifilm HS10 which I like but I would like an even better camera.

Thank you very much.

Solution
you might consider Nikon D7100

24.1-megapixel DX format CMOS sensor, with no OLPF for extreme image sharpness on even the finest details.
Professional level AF system utilising 51 focus points - 15 of which are cross-type, for rapid and precise autofocus.
1.3x crop function, expanding the possibilities of DX format with extra telephoto effect, faster speed (up to 7 fps) and extra wide AF coverage.

I paste a link where you can compare some offers from across the web and various online merchants

http://www.siboom.co.uk/compare-prices-digital-cameras_c126014.html?k=Nikon+D7100&ord=prezzo_des

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
dlsr's don't run off AA or AAA, in fact you don't want one that does tbh, I get 300-400 shots from my nicad battery, I'd be lucky to get 100 from std batteries.

You seem to be thinking of a bridge rather than a dslr.

13thmonkey is absolutely correct, DSLR's don't run off AA or AAA batteries. They run off rechargeable batteries and in the long run it is far less expensive than AA or AAA batteries. Do you want a true DSLR or as was suggested a bridge camera?

Dec 4, 2014
I am just looking for a really good camera and I am prepared to spend the money to buy it.

I ask about the batteries because my current camera runs off them and I have several sets of rechargeable batteries.

DSLR's to consider:
Nikon D7100 DSLR Camera
$1,396.95 which includes 18-140mm and 55-300mm Lenses kit from B&H
$1,259.95 as a kit with the same lenses on Amazon

Canon EOS 70D DSLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens Deluxe Kit $1,466.50 from B&H
Canon EOS 70D 20.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with Dual Pixel CMOS AF Full HD 1080p Video with Movie and Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM with Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer Telephoto Zoom Lens + 58mm 2x Professional Lens + High Definition 58mm Wide Angle Lens + Extra Battery + Uv Filter Kit with 32GB Complete Deluxe Accessory Bundle $1,499.95 - Amazon

Snapsort Side-by-Side Comparison

If neither of those is what you have in mind then let me know and I see what else I can suggest.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
I'm a canon person myself, BUT a friend of mine takes awesome images with his nikon, and I'm convinced it is down to kit, as my ego refuses to let me believe that he is better than me. A slight digression I'll admit, but they will perform similarly, however the nikon I believe has Optical Image Stabilisation as a part of the body, and not the lens (unlike canon) which in my opinion makes the nikon the better machine.
Be prepared that DSLRs have a learning curve to use them properly, i.e. outside of auto modes, look to http://www.dpreview.com/ for some excellent indepth and comparative reviews.
DSLRs will be better than bridge, to get the flexibility of bridge you'll need two lenses, but you can at least by new lenses. And when the bodies improve you and buy a new body and keep the old lenses etc.

PANTAGRAP

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015

I thought that the Pentax K-50 'could' run off AAs as an alternative?

My mistake, I just looked it up and it can run off of 4 AA's with the Pentax - D-BH109 AA Battery Holder.

PANTAGRAP

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
Others can too.... with a AA Battery Holder for Pentax K-500, K500, K-50, K50, K-30, K30, KR, K-r as Pentax D-BH109 (Holds 4 x AA batteries for back up power) D-li109.

;-)

You make a good point. I should have stated that, in general, DSLR's don't use AA or AAA batteries. I should not have made such a blanket statement that none do. I will remember this about certain Pentax models and will look at other models of other cameras before making such a statement again. However, I still believe they are not the best option.

WebBeachBoy

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2012
Canon 70D is an excellent choice. You can also now find the 60D secondhand very cheaply and it too is an excellent buy. Many semi-pro video shoots have been done with this camera. If you want to increase your budget and be more future proof check out the formiddable Lumix GH4

Robert Ferenc

Estimable
Jan 17, 2015
you might consider Nikon D7100

24.1-megapixel DX format CMOS sensor, with no OLPF for extreme image sharpness on even the finest details.
Professional level AF system utilising 51 focus points - 15 of which are cross-type, for rapid and precise autofocus.
1.3x crop function, expanding the possibilities of DX format with extra telephoto effect, faster speed (up to 7 fps) and extra wide AF coverage.

I paste a link where you can compare some offers from across the web and various online merchants

http://www.siboom.co.uk/compare-prices-digital-cameras_c126014.html?k=Nikon+D7100&ord=prezzo_des

Solution

approveme

Estimable
Sep 26, 2014
Consider a digital SLR camera for more control. An SLR digital camera (sometimes referred to as DSLR) provides you with much more creative control. Most of these have both automatic and manual adjustment for lighting and focusing. If you want additional control over the technical aspects of photography, or if you enjoy playing around with color settings and flash, look for digital SLR cameras. Be aware that these are almost always more expensive than point and shoot cameras.
SLR stands for "single-lens reflex" and describes the mirror and prism system that sends an accurate image to the viewfinder. Nowadays, most digital cameras of this type have an electronic display, but they are still referred to as SLR or DSLR cameras.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006

How many of the referred to cameras are not DSLR?