Buying a used laptop

Andrew_HCC

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, I'm looking into buying a laptop, I'm worried that this one might bring me issues seeing as there is no warranty mentioned, but it's really good value.
Any opinions/suggestions?
://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00G7OIVTU/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1500233689&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX160_SY231_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=i7+3520m

Solution
I would get the Lenovo Thinkpad T430 (2nd laptop) it is refurbished and has a 1 year warranty. Used laptops are basically sold "as is" while refurbished at least means the laptop has been repaired (if it was damaged). Also Thinkpad are designed to meet the US Dept of Defense's MIL Spec requirements which means they are semi-rugged laptops which can take withstand punishment than the average laptop.

I've used Thinkpads in the past, they are pretty tough and I like their unassuming business like demeanor.

Andrew_HCC

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017

Or maybe this one, the only part that worries me is that it says used - acceptable
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B072XRGB1S/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=A2TU4G0W0MWH0Z&psc=1#nav-search-keywords

I would get the Lenovo Thinkpad T430 (2nd laptop) it is refurbished and has a 1 year warranty. Used laptops are basically sold "as is" while refurbished at least means the laptop has been repaired (if it was damaged). Also Thinkpad are designed to meet the US Dept of Defense's MIL Spec requirements which means they are semi-rugged laptops which can take withstand punishment than the average laptop.

I've used Thinkpads in the past, they are pretty tough and I like their unassuming business like demeanor.

Solution

No, the used HP laptop is sold by Nesa Tech Ltd. Click the "used" link to see the actual seller. The refurbished HP laptop is sold by Bentham Ltd.

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
Elitebooks are, for the most part, pretty solid. We've used them in a variety of form factors at work for 5 years and most have been trouble-free. HP batteries sometimes have issues, and we've had a rash of SSD failures in our 640's.

I used to have a 8570w and it was trouble-free. I think we had 8470's too.

You could get them with 4-core i7's (HQ instead of M) and they were little powerhouses. The spinning disk drives were horridly slow, but with a SSD, one would fly.