C++ 2D Game Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

venom4u

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
I am using DevC++ and need a good 2D game engine for a few projects I have in mind. I am looking for something that is free (open source), easy to understand, has fast code implementation, backed by solid hardware acceleration (OpenGL preferably), and has good document / tutorials available. I have been recently learning Allegro5 via creation of a Windows screen saver and found it to be very slow to implement due to inconsistent documentation. I am hoping that there is something better out there.

Thanks for any info

Solution

First off, I would strongly recommend you stop using DevC++. It's old, buggy, unsupported and really not that great to start with. When it came out it was one of the only free alternatives, but now you can get...

Serapth

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

First off, I would strongly recommend you stop using DevC++. It's old, buggy, unsupported and really not that great to start with. When it came out it was one of the only free alternatives, but now you can get free versions of Visual Studio, as well as free C++ ides that are cross platform ( and way more capable than DevC++ ) in the form of Code::Blocks, Eclipse or the excellent Qt Creator.

As to your direct question, SFML is probably the perfect tool for what you want to do. It's the most modern of the 3 major 2D libraries and uses OpenGL behind the scenes. That said, most of the options are available in this getting started guide's C++ section. It also contains links to better IDEs than DevC++. ;) That same site has a tutorial series on creating a game from scratch using C++ and SFML. That might be a good place to get started, or at least, get a feel for SFML.

Solution

venom4u

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

Regarding my choice of IDE:
I've tried going to other IDE's with little success. I have used Visual Studio ~1yr ago and hated it and when i tried Code::Blocks out i never could get it set up to compile correctly even after ~20 hr of trial & error and Google searches. I haven't had a chance to really try Eclipse out (other then playing with Java some) so I may go that route but last time I looked around I ended up reinstalling DevC++ :??: . I am trying to ease into the C syntax as I come from ~8 years of various BASIC dialects.

Thanks a million for the links on the library by the way. It looks as if SFML is a clear choice. Also if you have any more recommendations on IDE's feel free.

Status
Not open for further replies.