isrr888

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017
I found a previous thread on CC Cleaner, but it was 5 yrs old, so i am wondering if it is still relevant? I just run CC and deleted a load of files, then downloaded and run an updated version and had over 700 files to delete.....all I had done was to install CC! I am only using the free version, but is this programme worth running at all given the recent hack story?

Solution
What you term the "recent hack story" only affected 32 bit CCleaner. The latest version of either 32 or 64 bit will have found a lot more crap (the C in CCLeaner) than would a five years back variety could possibly do.

If you continue to use it, make sure you accept the offer of a Registry backup when you clear that out and note the name and location of the file they back it up to. If you want a pretty good clean up, go into c:\windows\ystem32 and scroll down the file CleanMgr.exe. Right click on it, select RunAs Administrator and when it shows a form with all the possible rubbish it wants to clear out, tick all the entries.

That gets rid of a lot of junk.
What you term the "recent hack story" only affected 32 bit CCleaner. The latest version of either 32 or 64 bit will have found a lot more crap (the C in CCLeaner) than would a five years back variety could possibly do.

If you continue to use it, make sure you accept the offer of a Registry backup when you clear that out and note the name and location of the file they back it up to. If you want a pretty good clean up, go into c:\windows\ystem32 and scroll down the file CleanMgr.exe. Right click on it, select RunAs Administrator and when it shows a form with all the possible rubbish it wants to clear out, tick all the entries.

That gets rid of a lot of junk.

Solution

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

Next, Valve software got compromised and hacker hid rootkit and ransomware onto consumer PC.

" We are born in the wrong generation." - FilthyFrank

I agreed with that quote man.