Cable Service through a coax conversion to 1080p HDTV.

pioneerwoman80

Estimable
Nov 14, 2014
I just purchased a 1080p LED HDTV and want to convert my Cable Service provided through coax to true HD. What type of converter do I need to purchase to do this?

ronintexas

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
The choices from TWC is the $11 a month cable box (no DVR) or $21 a month for the DVR. Each TV needs one.....

You can build a HTPC (I am currently running one), where you use a cable card tuner to display on the TV. Costs are a Windows 7/8 PC with Windows Media Center, and a cable card tuner ($100 - $200).

Other options are a TiVO box (about $200) plus the programming fee.....the only difference basically is you own the equipment as far as costs for TiVO - I believe their programming fee is about $10 per month.

With the TiVO of HTPC - you will need a SDV converter to tune the stations....TWC supplies this for free.

ronintexas

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Depending upon your cable TV service - they may require a converter box of some kind to display HD video on your TV. Time Warner Cable (my cable company) and COX Commu8nications (the "ex" cable company) both required a HD Cable Box to display HD stations.

pioneerwoman80

Estimable
Nov 14, 2014
I have Time Warner so I would assume from ronintexas comment I will need to pay TWC the $11+ a month for the HD Cable Box? Is there not a converter or some other component I can purchase at maybe best buy that will do this for me so I don't have to pay the monthly fee to the cable company?

ronintexas

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
The choices from TWC is the $11 a month cable box (no DVR) or $21 a month for the DVR. Each TV needs one.....

You can build a HTPC (I am currently running one), where you use a cable card tuner to display on the TV. Costs are a Windows 7/8 PC with Windows Media Center, and a cable card tuner ($100 - $200).

Other options are a TiVO box (about $200) plus the programming fee.....the only difference basically is you own the equipment as far as costs for TiVO - I believe their programming fee is about $10 per month.

With the TiVO of HTPC - you will need a SDV converter to tune the stations....TWC supplies this for free.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Streaming Video & TVs 3
I Streaming Video & TVs 1
W Streaming Video & TVs 3
Graybush Streaming Video & TVs 10
H Streaming Video & TVs 5
D Streaming Video & TVs 5
M Streaming Video & TVs 2
C Streaming Video & TVs 2
D Streaming Video & TVs 1
L Streaming Video & TVs 2
S Streaming Video & TVs 2