Can a GeForce GTX 590 support Oculus Rift?

zamond

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
Hi, I read online that people have gotten their GTX 590 to work with the Rift. However, I'm having some problems with mine. I can get to the "home" screen in VR, but no games will play. I have the perpetual "floating sign" saying that my system does not meet the minimum specifications for Rift, which I can only assume means the video card. Here are my system specs:

• -Video card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 590, most current "game ready" driver (384.76, release date 6/28/17)
    -Motherboard: MSI Z68A-GD55, PCI 2.0 spec, 2x PCI-E x16, 3x PCI-E 1.0, 2x PCI slots
    -CPU: (socket 1155) Intel i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz
    -RAM: 16 GB (Corsair) Dual Channel DDR3
    -Hard Disc: 2x Samsung EVO-850 500 GB (not in RAID)
    -USB 3.0: Inateck 4-port USB 3.0 PCI-E card. (currently plugged into PCI-E 1.0 slot because seemed to have more issues when plugged into available x16 slot)

In the Nvidia settings menu, I had to DISABLE "multi-GPU" mode, otherwise the Rift wouldn't work at all. At first I tried outputting to the headset through the mini-display port (via a mini-display port to HDMI adapter), but that wouldn't work. So I ended up getting a DVI-D to HDMI adapter, and that finally allowed the signal to go through (still had to have multi-GPU disabled, though).

None of the free games that came with my purchase (that I've tried so far) will work. Robo Recall just puts up a screen on my monitor saying that "a pending hardware issue is preventing..." blah blah blah, and Toy Box (although the screen will load on my monitor) will not load in the Rift.

I've jumped so many hurdles to get this far. It would be really disappointing to have this fail at the last step, especially since I've read that other GTX 590 owners have had success.

Are there any other tweaks or hidden settings anyone knows of that would make this work?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was actually finally able to get it to work. After giving up on the mini display port and switching to an HDMI to DVI adapter AND randomly selecting different DVI ports on the GTX 590 (there are three DVI-D outs and one mini display port), it worked! There is some stuttering, and I get some long load times, but Robo Recall and Dead and Buried are running pretty well. For anyone else trying with this card, remember to also toggle Multi-GPU mode OFF in the Nvidia settings control panel, otherwise no signal will go to the visor at all. At least that was my experience with it.

adamscurr

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
I'm going to go with no... Mainly because I think you would have a lot of stuttering and I have heard that can make you nauseous.

Looking at your system though, I'm pretty sure with a graphics card update you could run it...

Adam

zamond

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was actually finally able to get it to work. After giving up on the mini display port and switching to an HDMI to DVI adapter AND randomly selecting different DVI ports on the GTX 590 (there are three DVI-D outs and one mini display port), it worked! There is some stuttering, and I get some long load times, but Robo Recall and Dead and Buried are running pretty well. For anyone else trying with this card, remember to also toggle Multi-GPU mode OFF in the Nvidia settings control panel, otherwise no signal will go to the visor at all. At least that was my experience with it.

Solution