Can a graphic card driver update kill a laptop gpu?

jnow024

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
Almost 2 years ago,I decided to do a driver update for my amd card in hopes it might get me closer to 30 fps in overwatch.Mid driver update laptop blue screened and laptop kept crashing until amd drivers were uninstalled.I tried at least 10 versions of amd drivers but none worked.

I am not looking for tech support.I just want to figure out how my gpu died.I can't link my laptop since its discontinued.But here is the model name - Lenovo z51-70 80k6 Specs:

i5 5200u

8gb ram

1tb 5400rm hdd

amd r9 m375x 4gb

Grobe

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I'd say it is very unlikely the drivers itself is responsible for the gpu dying.

Are you sure the gpu is really that broken? When you state "laptop kept crashing until amd drivers were uninstalled", I tend to beleive that you're supposed to use the laptop manufactor's own version of the driver. At least some fifteen years ago that was not uncommon, but I'm not updated on todays laptops.

Ad just one last question - If booting from a Linux live-cd, will the screen behaves normally?

jnow024

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
I have tried completely reinstalling windows then installing AMD drivers from Lenovo site but it would still BSOD.

I haven't tried using Linux yet.Everything works normally without the AMD drivers(since it uses Intel igpu) if that's what you were asking.