Can Android TV boxes Record Themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbo123

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
I just bought a Zidoo S9X with an hdmi port to record, usually from another android box plugged in. I don't want to short circuit anything, as I have done all too often, but my gut tells me this should be safe? What happens if I am watching anything on the internet and I split the hdmi signal out sending the picture to the tv but the other signal back to the "HDMI In" port? Seems to me, it should record without the need for a second box? Most likely bad outcome "should be" some kind of interference or feedback simply giving bad picture or sound???

……….but it might work flawlessly?....hdcp not relevant to this issue.

Thanks.

bobbo

Solution
You will need an active HDMI distribution amp not a passive splitter. If the HDMI output is HDCP compliant you probably won't be able to record it. I suspect that the HDMI input is to integrate an external source with the GUI of the android box and for PIP even though a record function is mentioned in the description.
You will need an active HDMI distribution amp not a passive splitter. If the HDMI output is HDCP compliant you probably won't be able to record it. I suspect that the HDMI input is to integrate an external source with the GUI of the android box and for PIP even though a record function is mentioned in the description.

Solution

bobbo123

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
jsmithepa: Thanks. Like me are you giving your best "idea" or have you actually done or seen this or have other basis to suppose?

Audio Guru: Thanks. I do have an active splitter. I'm curious though....when is an active splitter required over a passive one? You are right that the hdmi port on the few android Tv boxes that have them do allow for pic in pic functionality but they claim to record "any" hdmi source....hdcp not included of course. I bought the Zidoo for this function for the same price as a good hdmi capture box...so I'm thinking I got streaming video for free...………….. we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.