Solved! Can battery wear level decrease? Or are the sensors uncalibrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 28, 2021
Can battery wear level decrease?

I own a lenovo legion 5, and I've been using it extensively for both gaming and schoolwork.
It can easily run most modern games, and multitask flawlessly, but recently I've come to know about this thing called battery wear level thanks to HW info.
At first I was scared and tried my best to follow a strict battery life care regime, and was successful in reducing the wear level from 12% to 11.5%.
I thought this was normal and that battery wear can be reversed. This sounds stupid and I am sure it is, but such small progress did not seem suspicious.

But yesterday, I accidentally left it plugged in overnight, and to my surprise found out the battery wear level had decreased by a relatively substantial 2%, down to 10%.
This seemed very suspicious, since leaving the battery plugged in, even if it has overcharge protection is usually not recommended.
I have referred to many websites and numerous forums on this very website, and I am confident that I have been following optimal battery care methods.

Is this actually possible, or are the sensors not calibrated and are displaying wrong information?

Reactions: Dr. Debbie
Solution
Couple of points:
  • One of the best ways to preserve the battery is to limit charging to around 80%. The Lenovo support program includes a way to set this up (I don't remember the exact path to get to the settings). You can get to battery diagnostics through that program also.
  • The wear sensors are not going to be absolute. They just provide a rough estimate. You are not really reversing the wear).
  • Leaving the laptop plugged in all the time is fine unless the laptop internal power supply is poorly designed. There should be no problem leaving it plugged in most all the time. That is what I have done on several HP laptops over the years with no ill effects.
Nov 27, 2021
Can battery wear level decrease?

I own a lenovo legion 5, and I've been using it extensively for both gaming and schoolwork.
It can easily run most modern games, and multitask flawlessly, but recently I've come to know about this thing called battery wear level thanks to HW info.
At first I was scared and tried my best to follow a strict battery life care regime, and was successful in reducing the wear level from 12% to 11.5%.
I thought this was normal and that battery wear can be reversed. This sounds stupid and I am sure it is, but such small progress did not seem suspicious.

But yesterday, I accidentally left it plugged in overnight, and to my surprise found out the battery wear level had decreased by a relatively substantial 2%, down to 10%.
This seemed very suspicious, since leaving the battery plugged in, even if it has overcharge protection is usually not recommended.
I have referred to many websites and numerous forums on this very website, and I am confident that I have been following optimal battery care methods.

Is this actually possible, or are the sensors not calibrated and are displaying wrong information?

hi there, I suggest running diagnostics on your computer, if that is possible, from your start up screen. But before that, we’re you able to find troubleshooting information about this in the online manual? I wonder if it’s time to replace your battery and charger. I change mine at the same time as if the computer overheats, which I believes yours has a known problem of easily doing, it can impact the battery and the charger. That’s my 2 cents.
dr. Debbie

Couple of points:
  • One of the best ways to preserve the battery is to limit charging to around 80%. The Lenovo support program includes a way to set this up (I don't remember the exact path to get to the settings). You can get to battery diagnostics through that program also.
  • The wear sensors are not going to be absolute. They just provide a rough estimate. You are not really reversing the wear).
  • Leaving the laptop plugged in all the time is fine unless the laptop internal power supply is poorly designed. There should be no problem leaving it plugged in most all the time. That is what I have done on several HP laptops over the years with no ill effects.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.