Can I add another hard drive to an Asus ZenBook pro UX501VW?

Melach

Estimable
Mar 8, 2014
I'm getting the Asus Zenbook Pro ux501vw, and the only storage I'm getting is a 256GB SSD. To me, that isn't enough storage, I like the fact that it's an SSD, but I need a lot more space than that. Is it possible that I can add a 1TB hard drive to it? I really do hope so.. Help appreciated!

Solution
The Asus ZenBook Pro UX501VW can support a 2.5" SATA III hard drive... but the caveat is if the Asus comes with the 96Wh battery, then the battery occupies the space of the 2.5" bay. If the laptop has the smaller 60Wh battery, then it is possible to install a 2.5" HDD or SSD.

At the moment M.2 SSDs are limited to 512GB to the best of my knowledge. However, 1TB M.2 SSDs are just over the Horizon. I know that Samsung will be releasing the Samsung SM961 M.2 1TB SSD relatively soon. I am sure other brands will follow suit, but I do not really focus on SSD storage tech much. The SM961 will be using Samsung's newest "Polaris"controller for even better performance and I assume they will sell for $500 - $550.

gervino

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
It looks like the laptop has a M.2 slot. (And I'm expecting it to currently have a normal 2.5" harddisk inside.) You can keep the 2.5" harddisk in there, and instead of a normal 2.5" sata SSD they could place a M.2 SSD card in there and have the current harddisk as a second normal data disk.

americanbrian

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
There is no other storage port. You can buy a larger SSD and replace the one that is there. Or use external storage. If it is not required to be fast you could also always buy a high capacity SD card. I see some as large as 512GB are available these days. But it will be pretty slow.

Apparently some european models do have a sata slot according to notebookcheck. Worth checking it out I guess. The US version only has the m.2 slot

Melach

Estimable
Mar 8, 2014
It did not say anything about having a hard drive, so I'm doubting it. If it has a M.2 slot, can I not just add a M.2 hard drive to it and hopefully still keep the SSD? I already ordered the laptop, and I probably need up to 700GB of disk space. And doesn't a larger SSD run slower? What's the cons of it? And does it only have space for one storage? I can't get multiple? I don't mind replacing with a higher capacity SSD to 1tb or so, minimum 512GB, but hopefully it doesn't run slower. Sorry, I'm a bit clueless.

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
You will either need to find a way to clone Windows from that M.2 SSD to another one (with a M.2 to USB adapter) or reinstall Windows on the new drive (not sure how this works with OEM licensing on laptops, I hope someone could pop in an answer that.

The Asus ZenBook Pro UX501VW can support a 2.5" SATA III hard drive... but the caveat is if the Asus comes with the 96Wh battery, then the battery occupies the space of the 2.5" bay. If the laptop has the smaller 60Wh battery, then it is possible to install a 2.5" HDD or SSD.

At the moment M.2 SSDs are limited to 512GB to the best of my knowledge. However, 1TB M.2 SSDs are just over the Horizon. I know that Samsung will be releasing the Samsung SM961 M.2 1TB SSD relatively soon. I am sure other brands will follow suit, but I do not really focus on SSD storage tech much. The SM961 will be using Samsung's newest "Polaris"controller for even better performance and I assume they will sell for $500 - $550.

Solution

Melach

Estimable
Mar 8, 2014
I'm pretty sure it has 96Wh battery, since battery life was like 6 hours. And does any of you guys have any clue which SSD this laptop already has? Thinking of buying the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD or Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2. Don't really wanna buy an SSD that's slower than the laptop already has, but if the 850 evo is about as fast, I'll buy it and it's cheaper, while 950 pro costs x2 times more at a price around 350$.

The laptop has a Samsung SM951 MZVPV512HDGL. In terms of performance it sits in between the EVO 850 and EVO 950. Based on a quick search, the price for 512GB SM951 SSD is about $375.

I can't say what the technical differences are between the EVO 950 and the SM951. That is something you need to research.

Melach

Estimable
Mar 8, 2014
Oh, so it's pretty damn fast then.. If I had to replace it for 512GB of same version, that would be expensive as hell to me. I guess I'll stay with the current one for a while, and save up money. It's just too bad it came with such small space. I could buy the one with 512GB, but then it would include a lot of unnecessary components I don't really need which also made the price way more expensive, like with 4k and so. I can't add another 256GB SSD or something without replacing right? As Snipergod87 mentioned earlier. And when you say EVO 850/950, you mean the non-mobile version for desktops? Yeah, then I guess it's a huge step-up from the EVO 850 m.2. Thanks a lot for help anyway :)

Yeah, unfortunately you will need to remove the current M.2 SSD to replace it with a larger capacity SSD. The benchmarks for the EVO 850 / 950 were 2.5" variants not M.2. However, regardless of the form factor for the EVO 850 it uses SATA III to the best of my knowledge. The EVO 950 uses the PCIe interface. The SM951 has a PCIe interface so that would explain why it is faster than the EVO 850.

Since the M.2 slot has a PCIe interface that would prevent you from installing the EVO 850. That means you would need to look at the EVO 950 and SM961 series for a higher capacity M.2 SSD.

I suppose it is not possible to return the Asus ZenBook to exchange it for the version with the 60wH battery which would give you access to the 2.5" bay?

Melach

Estimable
Mar 8, 2014
I can't seem to find any of this model with the 60wH version, honestly. They all seem to have 96wH and none even had a hard drive, all with SSD's. Either 256GB or 512GB. I used a website that gave me an overview of this model to multiple websites, and I checked almost all of them, couldn't find one with 60wH or even a HD in it. I live in Norway, and if I order it internationally, I'll have to pay a lot of extra for VAT, and I'm talking an extra 500-700$ just for that.

Anyways, my plan for now is to get a Hard Drive USB adapter or an SD card, something like that when I get low on disk space and I'ma just store the extra stuff there. I'll just go for the laptop I ordered, for me it's really a good laptop, the only problem was the disk space. The reason it worried me is because on my old computer, I've probably used up to 450GB of space, but now that I think about it, 50% of it is probably just trash I haven't even bothered checking haha. I think I'm fine, because I doubt I'll use that much space for the first months anyway, I can already anticipate what I'm probably gonna install, and it isn't that much big. And when I have the money, I'll probably upgrade the SSD so I'm fine :) Ty again for the responses, they really helped!