Solved! Can I install Windows 10 on my macbook and remove mac os

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2019
I have a Macbook air 13 inch Early 2015 model

I have been recently wondering if I could install windows 10 on it and remove mac os making it a windows only machine

I have seen imacs with windows only on them at school and I want to do that as well to my own macbook

Jan 17, 2019

Its because Id like to run some windows programs I cant on mac

Jan 17, 2019

Virtual Machines don't really offer good performance to be honest

It isn't necessary. SIP is just a part of macOS. It'll be gone once you wipe the partitions and install Windows. As per the instructions @Colif linked.

Jan 20, 2019

There are two easy ways to install Windows on a Mac. You can use a virtualization program, which runs Windows 10 like an app right on top of OS X, or you can use Apple's built-in Boot Camp program to partition your hard drive to dual-boot Windows 10 right next to OS X
Download the Boot Camp drivers to a pen-drive, format the device using the Windows installer before installing. Run the bootcamp.exe once Windows is up and you'll have all the drivers you'll ever need. Make sure you get the right drivers for your device.
before continuing, make sure that you have a backup of your data! I am not responsible for any damage caused by this guide. You have been warned.

You need a USB formatted as FAT32 with at least 8 GBs of free space... Skip to step 2 if you already have an installation media.

Step 1: Download and install unetbootin from here. Then run it and select Disk Image option on the screen. Select ISO option from the dropdown menu next to Disk Image text if it is not already selected. Then press the button with three dots (...) and select your Windows ISO image (assuming you already have one). Lastly, select your USB from the dropdown menu next to Drive text and press OK. This will burn the ISO image to the USB.

Step 1.1: To learn what your USB is called, open up a Terminal from Spotlight and type:

diskutil list
This will show you all of the drives connected to your computer. Your USB is something like /dev/disk1s1 or /dev/disk1s2 (but definitely not /dev/disk0). You can understand which one is your USB by searching for your USB's label.

Step 2: Now open up the Bootcamp assistant for the last time. Once it's opened, select Action > Download Windows Helper Software. This will download Bootcamp helper. Select the target as your desktop and continue.

Step 3: Once your bootcamp software is downloaded and unetbootin is done, copy the WindowsSupport folder to your USB's root directory.

Step 4: It's time to begin the installation! Reboot your MacBook and when it's powering on, press and hold Alt (option) key on your keyboard. Once boot manager appears, select the EFI Boot or Windows option. This will start the installer. Give it a few minutes and once the button to begin the installation appears, press it. Wait for it to start. Once it starts, select Custom installation option. This part is important!!! A list of volumes should have appeared now.

Step 4.1: This will destroy any data on your other volumes! Delete all of your partitions one by one. Once there is only free space left, create a new partition and install Windows on there.

Step 4.2: Wait for the installation to finish.

Step 4.3: Once the computer restarts, hold the alt key and select Windows or EFI Boot option with a hard drive icon.

Step 5: Once you fully setup Windows, select your USB from Windows Explorer and go to WindowsSupport folder. In that folder, run the setup program. Install it like a normal program and you are done!

Jan 17, 2019

But what is the difference between efi boot and windows

But what is the difference between efi boot and windows

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFI_system_partition
"The EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) system partition or ESP is a partition on a data storage device (usually a hard disk drive or solid-state drive) that is used by computers adhering to the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). When a computer is booted, UEFI firmware loads files stored on the ESP to start installed operating systems and various utilities.
An ESP contains the boot loaders or kernel images for all installed operating systems (which are contained in other partitions), device driver files for hardware devices present in a computer and used by the firmware at boot time, system utility programs that are intended to be run before an operating system is booted, and data files such as error logs.[1]"

Jan 17, 2019

But should I choose efi boot or windows if im on a macbook air 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.