Can I upgrade my CPU?

wharangbuh

Honorable
May 20, 2013
Hi, I have a 4yo PC. I just upgraded my GPU and RAM about 2 months ago. My PC still works fine, but is it worth it to upgrade my CPU?

Asus M4A88TD-M
AMD Phenom II X4 955BE 3.0Ghz
8GB GSkill RAM 1600
GTX 750TI StormX 2GB
Thermaltake LitePower 500w
Thermaltake V3 Black Edition Mid Tower Case

If so, what CPU can I get?

Thanks.

edit:

I mostly do CAD, Sketch Up, Photoshop work. Some games like Civ V, Skyrim, GTA V, FIFA 16.

Solution
Just to clarify the SSD...

It will not improve the processor performance, but it will improve the overall responsiveness of your PC. The SSD has faster read / write speed than a hard drive so Windows will boot / shut down faster. Programs will launch and close faster and anything you load within the program from the SSD will load faster.

A SSD does not help Photoshop when using effects since that is driven by the CPU. It does not improve game performance at all except for load / save times. It helps reduce possible micro-stutters / texture popping in open world games (like Skyrim and GTA V) when loading new texture based on changes in environment.

As for upgrading your CPU, I don't think you will get much of a performance increase...

snowctrl

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
You haven't mentioned storage... if you haven't already, switching your OS drive for an SSD will give you a far bigger speed increase than a CPU upgrade for using Photoshop etc....

wharangbuh

Honorable
May 20, 2013

Really? I have no SSD.

So all my applications will gain far bigger speed increase if I buy SSD instead of upgrading my CPU?

But what about other games that needs a better CPU?

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

This shows what CPU are supported by your motherboard
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A88TDM/HelpDesk_CPU/
choice of 4 or 6 core cpus.
I dont know what availability of new CPU is but change in performance from 3GHz to 3.7GHz is not that much

If your software supports 6 cores it may be worth while

regards
Mike Barnes

Just to clarify the SSD...

It will not improve the processor performance, but it will improve the overall responsiveness of your PC. The SSD has faster read / write speed than a hard drive so Windows will boot / shut down faster. Programs will launch and close faster and anything you load within the program from the SSD will load faster.

A SSD does not help Photoshop when using effects since that is driven by the CPU. It does not improve game performance at all except for load / save times. It helps reduce possible micro-stutters / texture popping in open world games (like Skyrim and GTA V) when loading new texture based on changes in environment.

As for upgrading your CPU, I don't think you will get much of a performance increase based on the following game benchmarks from www.techspot.com. I would say it is time to upgrade to a newer generation CPU. Since Thanksgiving / X-Mas is around the corner, there should be sales starting at the end of this month.

CPU_01.png

CPU_01.png

CPU_01.png

CPU1.png

CPU_2.png

CPU_01.png

Solution

TRENDING THREADS