Can I upgrade my laptop procesor or graphics card?

lantishero

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017
I have a Toshiba Satellite A665-S6067, it has an Intel Core i7 Q 720 and a Nvidia GeForce GT 330M, someone have ever upgraded some of them or know for wich components should I upgrade?

Solution
Possible, yes. Ideal? No. You will experience a lot of issues doing this. There are a lot of things that come into play when upgrading hardware, especially on Laptops because it is deemed as is by the manufacturer and only intend on HDD and Ram replacement, not full overhauls of hardware, doing so will void any manufacturer warranty. Buy a new laptop and save yourself the hassle.

Scottray

Respectable
Jul 14, 2016
Generally, upgrading laptops is difficult for two reasons. First, the CPU and GPU need to be in sockets. Many times the CPU and/or GPU are soldered to the motherboard. Second, laptops are built with a specific thermal profile. If you can replace the CPU or GPU, the new parts can't run hotter, because the laptop is not built to handle the extra heat. Since this is an old laptop, you're probably better off replacing it with a newer laptop (used or new).

Mind Games

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Possible, yes. Ideal? No. You will experience a lot of issues doing this. There are a lot of things that come into play when upgrading hardware, especially on Laptops because it is deemed as is by the manufacturer and only intend on HDD and Ram replacement, not full overhauls of hardware, doing so will void any manufacturer warranty. Buy a new laptop and save yourself the hassle.

Solution

lantishero

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017

Thank you, never tought of the extra heat, I bought a Cooler Master NotePal U3 PLUS because it doesn´t handle the actual heat very well

lantishero

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017

Thank you, I already upgraded to a SSD and the ram, I don´t have warranty any more since long time ago, but think I will wait to buy a new one