Can I upgrade processors which have the same sockets? and ram upgrade problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2018
My laptop's current processor(Intel Core i5 480m), supported sockets are
BGA1288, PGA988.Can I upgrade it to
(Intel Core i7 640m,or other i7 new generation) which have the same supported sockets.
Same supported sockets means I can upgrade it? pls help.
and ram what ram need to buy?
i buyed ddr3l 2x4=8gb ram i put ram, in power on laptop not work in boot.
Model Laptop Toshiba Satellite M645-S4114

Solution
That depends on the socket of the motherboard. If it's BGA, then the CPU is soldered in and cannot be upgraded. If it's PGA, then you theoretically upgrade it with a same powered (35 watt TDP) processor.

The laptop supports DDR3 RAM. DDR3L RAM is low voltage and may not be compatible with your system. Any of the following RAM kits (save the Corsair Mac) should work fine for you.

-Wolf sends

clarkjd

Distinguished

Welcome to Tom's!
Compatible to the socket does NOT mean that CPUs are interchangeable. There are other factors involved, including cooling and power issues, not to mention that the BIOS has to support the new CPU. You would need to check with Toshiba. As far as memory is concerned, laptops tend to be VERY picky when it comes to upgrading ram. You can't just grab the first memory with similar specs. Again, Toshiba would be the most reliable source for this information.
Good Luck!

Reactions: DerekAllen
That depends on the socket of the motherboard. If it's BGA, then the CPU is soldered in and cannot be upgraded. If it's PGA, then you theoretically upgrade it with a same powered (35 watt TDP) processor.

The laptop supports DDR3 RAM. DDR3L RAM is low voltage and may not be compatible with your system. Any of the following RAM kits (save the Corsair Mac) should work fine for you.

-Wolf sends

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.