Can I use a 12V, 1000mA plug for speakers that use 15V DC, 800mA?

mrmike16

Honorable
Hi, so I moved countries and I am trying to find replacement cables for my speakers rather than use transformers.

I found one for my Dell speakers, but not my old Gateway2000 speakers from Altec Lansing which are so much better than modern speakers. These are computer speakers I am talking about.

The cable for the Dell speakers (Both the American and European ones) says 12V, 1000mA (12W Max) on it.

The Gateway2000 plug (of which I only have an American one) says 15V DC, 800mA.

Since I couldn't find a European cable for the Gateway one here, could I use the Dell cable with it? Or will that break it?

I am reading the Output of both. The Input is why I'm replacing it- they aren't dual voltage.

Thanks in advance!

Solution

Click on the Go to Global Site (English) link as shown in the following image:

Ali_Express_Global_English_Link.jpg

Enter CY-151000 into the search bar and click on the magnifying glass search button at the end of the search bar:

Ali_Express_Search_Bar.jpg

Select the product that you want to purchase from the search results:

Ali_Express_Search_Results.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PCS-15V1A-New-AC-100V-240V-Converter-Adapter-DC-15V-1A-1000mA-Power-Supply-EU-Plug/32277493879.html

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Assuming the polarity is correct, plugging in a 12V input to a device requiring 15V won't do any damage, however if you undervolt an amplifier, you may get clipping or other distortion. I'd try Amazon for an adapter that has 15V output, possibly a universal type.

mrmike16

Honorable

I can't seem to find one (And I have no idea if the plug would fit my speakers).
I'm not sure what you mean by "undervolt an amplifier", or even "clipping"- I'm assuming "clipping" was in terms of the audio sound?

Does the lower voltage and higher mA sort of even it out?

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
No, a device only draws the mA it needs, regardless of how much is available. Clipping is a reference to the peaks of the waves being cut off. A Google search for "Amplifier clipping" will show some waveforms, and explain causes. In this case, supplying a voltage too low could prevent the amplifier of your speakers to hit those peaks.
This provides much more current than needed, but that's ok because your speakers will only draw what they need; but can be set for 15V at whichever polarity you need: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6RP37N6759&cm_re=15V_universal_ac_adapter-_-9SIA6RP37N6759-_-Product
It comes with multiple tips, so one should fit.

mrmike16

Honorable
Onus, that one seems good (although it will take up lots of space), but is it 220v?
ko888, That one looks good from what I can understand, but I'm not totally sure. I don't have exact measurements of mine or the one on that site. It's also not listed in English.
I live in Israel, so 220v would be good. Sorry, I am just having lots of trouble finding it!
Would my Dell adapter harm the Gateway speakers?

mrmike16

Honorable

Here you go. The adapter for the Gateway2000 Altec Lansing speakers.

OK so uploading it didn't seem to work on here.

I'll type in the information:

"PLUG IN CLASS 2 TRANSFORMER
PART NO : A1664
MODEL NO : MAU48-15-800D1
INPUT : 120V 60Hz 25W
OUTPUT : 15V DC 800mA
- +
"

And then the whole copyright trademark stuff.

mrmike16

Honorable

Can I have that site in English, please?
Shouldn't it say DC, not AC?

ko888

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
Solution