Can i use a cat5 cable to send a hdmi sidnal between my tv and my sky hd box

G

hello everyone , im trying to set up my sky hd and my tv and am wondering if i can send the signal though a cat 5 cable instead of a hdmi lead as its over a long distance . also im linking my surround sound to my tv over a long distance ( eg 10m ) can this be done over a cat 5 cable , if not would be very helpful of any help as i need to get the cables in the wall before its plastered

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Try this: http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-video/hdmi/cables-accessories/hdmi-extenders/hdmi-extension-kit-hdmi2cat5e/prodHDMI2CAT5E.html

This HDMI extender extends your HDTV display connection up to 98 feet (30 meters) away from your source or switcher using two Cat5e or Cat6 cables. It supports both HDMI or DVI signals (with optional adapter).

Features:

• No Setup required
• Up to 98 feet at 1080p*
• Compact Size
• Signal rates up to 2.25Gbps to support up to 1080p displays
• HDCP compliant
• Includes Transmitter, Receiver and Power Supply.

*Results may vary with source devices and displays.
Use Solid conductor, solid copper Cat5e or Cat6 cable for best results.

Kinda pricey at $95, and only goes up to 2.25GHz bandwidth instead of the 9GHz or whatever that you'd need for the latest HDMI standards, and I kinda doubt that HDCP compliant claim too.

Instead, you might consider a regular HDMI extender like THIS :

Use as close as possible to receiving (Display) end of cable run.
Extends long HDMI cable run capabilities by equalizing the signal to adjust for high frequency losses due to long cables. The "Sparkle Eliminator". With optional power supply can help recover signals from Receivers with low cable power output.

Features:
• HDMI cable auto equalizer
• Extend the HDMI cable up to 50M
• No requirement of external power supply(the power input is optional)
• No system control required.
• Support UXGA and 1080P
• Each port supports HDMI or DVI inputs.
• 40dB receiver equalization

Alternatively try a powered booster like THIS

Extend your HDMI 1.3 Signal through long length cables and multiple Wall plate connections. Comes with Power Supply so it does not rely on power from the Source component, which is often very weak on Receivers and some DVD and Blue Ray players. HDMI 1.3 Compliant and supports 1080p

Introduction
This HDMI Extender is dedicated to not only extend but also enhance and ensure the fully HDMI signal long transmission. It works by regenerating the high definition video and digital audio it receives from the source and transmitting it along to the second cable at the extended display. Functionally, this extender could eliminate pixilation, sparkles, and the loss of video and audio that happens with HDMI cable connections longer than 15 meters.

Features

• Extends the length of HDMI cable by regenerating the HDMI signals
• Maintains high definition resolutions up to 1080p
• Amplifier and equalizer functions enable longer HDMI cable
• Compact size to be placed out
• Easy installation

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
if you are a low voltage type of guy and plan on running this stuff in the walls etc. and have experience, you would be best just getting a few wall plates like the ones below

http://www.amazon.com/HDmi-Over-CAT5-Wallplate-Extender/dp/B001CJ9392

I put a couple in and they work great, use CAT6 though, not CAT5

Of course as with anything involving HDMI, it would be best to research before you buy, make phone calls or send e-mails to the manufacturer/distributor to confirm the product meets your needs.....