Can I use a Standalone Subwoofer Unit with a 2.1 Channel Sound System?

Satyajit Mishra

Estimable
Apr 11, 2015
Motherboard: GA-B250M-D3H
2.1 Channel Sound System: Sony SRS D5 (It has a Subwoofer)

My motherboard has 6 audio ports & upon reading the manual, I found that one of the ports (Orange) has the option to be used either for the Center Speaker OR Subwoofer. But it also states that this setup is to be used in 5.1/7.1 Channel setup.

So can I connect another Subwoofer to my existing 2.1 Channel Sound System?

BTW I want to use the Subwoofer as a Standalone unit i.e. not going to connect speakers to this unit. In short I want to add a subwoofer to my 2.1 Channel Sound System; making it a 2.2 Channel SS.

Please don't suggest using a Splitter. I just want to know if it is possible to connect a subwoofer to my motherboard & configure it from Windows Sounds Settings or some other software to use it as an addon subwoofer.

I was searching for this in my Windows Sound Setting. Under the Playback tab I right clicked the Speakers option & then clicked the Configure Speakers. There were no option to use a 2 Subwoofer system.
Please check the picture for reference.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1J6m60DXU0tnZ2kF5FuqilhBGNLK3BSqr

Solution
I use a standalone jbl sub with my pc speakers. The pc's are green, the sub is orange. In sounds it's set on 5.1 but somewhere in all those settings is the ability to turn off certain speakers, which for me is the 2x rear surrounds. In playback I've got center channel disabled and sub enabled.

That's the good news. The bad news is it takes a minor miricle to get the sub set right. For most conversations, especially female, it's great, no worries, but many male voices have a really deep harmonic and that comes through the sub too, even though the equalizer is chopped at 80Hz and the sub itself is set to 60Hz. Kinda disorienting at times listening to 1 person talk from 2 discernable places.

Also the volume doesn't scale well separately...

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

The only way to activate that port is to set it to 5.1 . If you do that it may affect the rest of the sound from your system as some sounds may be assigned to the channels that don't have speakers on them.

I know you don't want to hear it but, use a splitter.

DeauteratedDog

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

You might try playing around with the "Connector Retasking" function in the Realtek Audio Manager. I don't know if you can do what you want there, but it's probably worth playing with.

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
If you're looking for more depth/bass output, why not just look for a complete 2.1 upgrade option along w/ perhaps a dedicated soundcard (at some point) to the Sony speakers you currently have. Your end results will greatly improve, budget depending.

The secondary sub ideally would be another SRS D5 sub, in order to maintain a matched sound-lvl, db, etc. Otherwise, you might find yourself in a loop of adjusting the outputs of one or both subs, in order to get them matched. This is not always the case, but not something I'd recommend with PC pnp subs or HT subs.

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
I use a standalone jbl sub with my pc speakers. The pc's are green, the sub is orange. In sounds it's set on 5.1 but somewhere in all those settings is the ability to turn off certain speakers, which for me is the 2x rear surrounds. In playback I've got center channel disabled and sub enabled.

That's the good news. The bad news is it takes a minor miricle to get the sub set right. For most conversations, especially female, it's great, no worries, but many male voices have a really deep harmonic and that comes through the sub too, even though the equalizer is chopped at 80Hz and the sub itself is set to 60Hz. Kinda disorienting at times listening to 1 person talk from 2 discernable places.

Also the volume doesn't scale well separately so if the pc's are at 20, the sub seems to be at 30, but cranking the pc's to 50, the sub seems to only be at 40 in comparable volume. So turning volume up, the bass is less noticeable. Probably something to do with the way games are using Dolby or other playback settings and not having full range mains to make up the differences.

Solution