Can I use any flash card in my Compaq IPAQ 3850?

Geoffrey E Blume

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I bought a 16GB flash card, SC HC Class 6 to use in the top expansion slot of my Compaq 3850 IPAQ. The IPAQ does not recognize the card. It works in my Desktop and I have loaded some files in it. Must I format the card with as special program for the IPAQ? If so, what is the program?

Thanks

Jeff
gblume@etllao.com

G

The card capacity is probably greater than was available when the IPAQ was designed. Check the manual (or HP support) and stick with the size recommended.

Geoffrey E Blume

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Thanks. The manual does not set a limit on the size of the card. It only says that the IPAQ can read CD/MMC.Reader cards. The 16GB card is a CD. I will give the HP Support folks a try. The IPAQ should operate just like a normal computer, accessing and operating on the flash and not be constrained by any limits on its internal limitations in my view. I will post my progress. Thanks for the quick response.

Geoffrey E Blume

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Just an update. I went to HP Chat to the nearest location, Thailand from Laos. I posted my question and nothing happened. I did it again and just blank. Still no response. The Thai site is a 24/7 which probably means no one there 24/7. I will try again today. I believe that the Thai site is sales only, not service. They should say that.

Geoffrey E Blume

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I got thru to the HP Customer service in Canada. The 3850 cannot accept a flash larger than 4GB. Mine is a bit older and probably cannot take a flash larger than 2GB. The first answer that I received was on the mark. They also advise not to use a hi density card, as it will also not work.

Also be advised that the Thailand Service Center does not offer technical advice on Chat. They are only a sales center and will not respond to technical problems. Singapore is the nearest tech advice center to Southeast Asia.

TRENDING THREADS