Can I use HDMI ARC as my audio out on my Samsung Smart TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elick504

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017
Hello! I just got a Samsung smart TV and want to output audio over HDMI to my older Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver. It doesn’t support 4K passthrough so I need a direct HDMI passthrough to the receiver. Is there any way I can use the HDMI ARC and direct audio directly to my receiver? Optical output only supports 5.1 and I have a 7.1 setup so I want to use HDMI which supports 7.1. Thanks!

Solution
I own the Rx 1800 too with a 4k tv (old 1080p tv died), very good unit but old and no ARC, just only optical. Its no biggy really.

1080p still looks great on 4k and for a compromise maybe use a ps3 / ps4 or xbox one direct to the avr for your streaming content that supports 7.1.

Bit off topic but if interested, in case your avr does the same ill explain because ive been through it.

My Rx1800 recently had a power problem after several years, wouldn't turn on properly until i unplugged the power cable for a bit. Read on whirlpool its a common problem for the rx 1700 / 1800 / 1900 and 3000 models and an 80c capacitor C4 0.022uf/22nf 630v fixed it.

Its a small orangey brown capacitor, can see it if you shine a torch through the top...

boju

Distinguished
I own the Rx 1800 too with a 4k tv (old 1080p tv died), very good unit but old and no ARC, just only optical. Its no biggy really.

1080p still looks great on 4k and for a compromise maybe use a ps3 / ps4 or xbox one direct to the avr for your streaming content that supports 7.1.

Bit off topic but if interested, in case your avr does the same ill explain because ive been through it.

My Rx1800 recently had a power problem after several years, wouldn't turn on properly until i unplugged the power cable for a bit. Read on whirlpool its a common problem for the rx 1700 / 1800 / 1900 and 3000 models and an 80c capacitor C4 0.022uf/22nf 630v fixed it.

Its a small orangey brown capacitor, can see it if you shine a torch through the top vent. Rear left of the avr where the power plug goes. You'll see a black square object and just under that is the capacitor. Easy to get to and solder a new one.

Solution
Jun 17, 2018
I just got a Samsung Smart TV and was having a lot of problems getting HDMI ARC output from the TV's 'ARC'-labeled HDMI port to my ARC-enabled receiver. It turned out the user manual instructions were wrong. To set up ARC, the manual fails to state the AnyNet+ option must ALSO be turned on. Just plugging an HDMI cable into the ARC port will not automatically pull out TV audio, as implied by the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.