Can I use kicker car speaker with a pioneer recivier

Electricwhizkid

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Hi, I just got done building a repair shop and I put some JBL ceiling speakers in and I am using a pioneer SX-2900 stereo receiver and the first time I turned up the volume I blew 2 of the ceiling speakers and the horn speaker on the outside of the shop. I have some kicker KS525 car speakers would they be big enough for the stereo?

chris-L

Estimable
Nov 13, 2015
"Maybe figure out why you blew 3 speakers first before hooking up more and blowing them too. "

To help here, the point is maybe the Pioneer amp is defective and damaging your speakers. So try this :
disconnect all speaker wires at the amp. If you have a multi-meter or voltmeter, set it on DC volts and
put the positive and negative probes onto the amp speaker output connectors and measure any DC volts.
There should be none. At least not above 1/4 or 1/2 volt DC. Higher DC volts than this indicate a problem within the amp.
If you do not read any DC then you can go ahead and hookup
1 car speaker to one side of the amp and check to hear if it sounds clear. Do not run volume control on amp beyond halfway at most.
IF it sounds clear, turn off and connect 2nd car speaker to other side and check same. You can damage any speakers by giving them too much distorted sound so it's good practice to not run your Pioneer past the halfway point on the volume control. Actual power out is driven by the music so if you're not more than halfway you still have "headroom" for louder portions of music as they come through. Also it's important to provide correct "LOAD" on the Pioneer when operating which means you're safer operating only 1 speaker per output channel on
the Pioneer 2900. Not sure how you wired the 3 speakers you already mentioned, so for your troubleshooting here just stick with 2. It's not the power of the speakers that's as important as the power of the amp ; it needs to be undistorted so usually a more powerful amp run at a
lower setting works better than an underpowered amp run too high. Electrically you could use the car speakers but do not connect them up in addition to the JBL's at the same time. 1 pair or the other. Disconnect the outside horn wires at the amp as you run these tests.

Electricwhizkid

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Ok, I had 2 speakers per channel wired in series. But now it don't matter anyway since I had lightning run in through the power and I lost everything that was plugged in including the stereo