Can I use windows reg edit to get rid of nvidia optimus?

Why in the world would you want to do that ? Optimus is part of the nVidia driver package. It lets your lappie use the low power built in GFX when running browsers, office apps and light stuff and switches to the 780M when its needed. You can over ride this behavior in nVidia control panel either globally or you can select what you want used for any program

Manage 3D settings / Global Settings to turn on and off for everything
Manage 3D settings / Program Settings to turn on and off for each program

I have all set to auto except for one game which is not in the auto configure database

USAFRet

Illustrious

"I hear..." is not conducive to good maintenance.

First, determine if it actually is.
Then look to ways to remove it. "Uninstall drivers", etc.
If that fails....maybe then look to editing the registry.

robotchicken337

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

I came here to ask a question not to be insulted.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Not trying to be 'insulting'. But very often..."I hear..." results in a broken piece of equipment.

Several steps in troubleshooting:
What are you trying to do?
Why?
And then we can go into how to fix the actual problem...

In your case...a new laptop, with Nvidia drivers. Someone told you that those drivers were bad or unnecessary.
Turns out, those are required for optimal operation

You came in here asking how to mod the registry to remove them. Without knowing if they were beneficial or not. "I heard..." that they were not.

I am not trying to be insulting. I apologize if it came off that way.

But find the problem first (some weird stuff installed?), then apply a solution (Regit to remove something).
There is no 'weird stuff', hence no solution needed.

Matt88

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Well if you have laptop that is 3d ready, nvidia 3d vision kit alway looks at the integrated gpu no matter what you do. So in order for it to work you need to completely remove Optimus so the application knows to use the dedicated card first. (No the default GPU for individual applications option located in the nvidia control panel does not work.) Anyways, I too would like to know if there is a way to get rid of this "battery life saving" technology.