Can my HP Elitebook 8730w laptop run without its graphic card ?

k00ly

Commendable
Oct 22, 2017
Hi. I have an HP 8730w Elitebook laptop.
It is old ..from 2009, but it has 17" display which is rather nice to work with.
It also has an old 2009 ATI graphics card (I forgot the exact model at this time)

The problem is that my laptop runs very warm, mostly due to the VGA which rans to 45C when only idle, compare that to the P8700 processor at only 30C when idling.
Youtube : 'hp 8730w disassembly' .. my laptop's internal is very similar seems.

I would like to remove the VGA and just use the Intel graphic like my other 15" lenovo.
So can my laptop run without it graphics card (if I remove the VGA) ?

Solution
The best way to clean off thermal paste is with a lint free cloth and 90% rubbing alcohol. Never heard of DeepCool Z5, but I don't really do much research on thermal paste anymore.

I suppose if you use a thick paper towel it will do the job. Just be sure to wipe away any lint it may leave behind.

k00ly

Commendable
Oct 22, 2017

huh, are you sure?? Can you cite your sources..? I looked at ark.intel.com, wikipedia and others; none of them has this info.
Bet you can find laptop with P8700 and no VGA on ebay. search 'lenovo / hp' with 'p8700'

ex_bubblehead

Distinguished

Sources? Sure. Here's the official HP specifications page ( https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c01546928 ). Note that that laptop uses the Core2 processors, which do NOT have integrated video. If you remove the NVIDIA or ATI video adapter you have no display at all. Doesn't get much more definitive than that.

k00ly

Commendable
Oct 22, 2017

Sorry, but there are literally hundreds of P8700 machines on ebay listed without VGA (only with Intel HD 4000.. sumthing like that). My current lenovo has P7370 proccie --without VGA, it has Mobile Intel series 4 (on Device Manager ). Both P8700 and P7370 are penryn arch. I already looked at ark.intel.com, both are pretty much the same, but a few things like cache and few other things. Both don't list its iGPU.

The only way to be sure is to try it out (removing the GPU and boot it), I took out the keyboard, but am stuck at removing the quicklaunch panel (it is hard as rock).

rgd1101

Don't

We would like to see that, can you post some of these ebay link with HD4000?

The Intel Penryn architecture is for the older Core 2 Solo, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, and Pentium/Celeron CPUs. They were released prior to the 1st generation of Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs known as Arrandale. I was incorrect in my prior post above. The first mobile Intel CPUs to include an integrated graphics core is the Arrandale generation CPU.

It wasn't until Intel released the 2nd generation Sandy Bridge CPU with the Intel HD 3000 graphics core where people actually started to notice that Intel has actually put in some effort into creating an integrated graphics core that actually did have good performance... for an integrated solution. This was as of a result of a $1.5 billion 6 year licensing agreement between Intel and Nvidia back in January 2011. At the time the Intel HD 3000 could more or less compete against the Radeon HD 5450.

k00ly

Commendable
Oct 22, 2017

:lol: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T500-Intel-Core-2-Duo-P8700-2-53GHz-2GB-RAM-NO-HDD-/282700617928?hash=item41d24518c8:g:B2oAAOSwv-ZZ6MSm

there it has intel P8700 but no GPU listed. There are plenty others just search on ebay like 'lenovo p8700' or whatever other combinations you could think of.

I still cant remove the top quicklaunch panel.. maybe need to wait shop tech to do it for me.
We re not betting on anything, are we? I hope not, I m just doing this for knowledge dude.

rgd1101

Don't
https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-thinkpad-t500/specs/
Intel GMA 4500MHD

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-4500MHD-GMA-X4500MHD.9883.0.html
"onboard graphics adapter in the GM45, GE45 and GS45 chipset"

Your 8730w
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-elitebook-8730w-mobile-workstation/3784202/document/c01546928
Mobile Intel PM45 Express Chipset
https://www.versalogic.com/support/Downloads/Leopard/Mobile_Intel_4_Series_Chipset_Datasheet.pdf
moTja6V.png

No graphic core

k00ly

Commendable
Oct 22, 2017

I did checked out the ark.intel.com for few of Sandy Bridge proccie, yess.. they have their iGPU listed on there.

My lenovo r500 is penryn P7370 and uses Intel graphics.. so is the Intel graphics integrated with the mobo, instead of the penryn proccie ??

k00ly

Commendable
Oct 22, 2017

So dissappointing...
The P8700 is great, but the VGA is very warm even when idling. (I use openhardwaremonitor)
Can I swap the VGA with others like NVidia FX 2700/3700. Mine currently is ATI card.
What/which card is the best in terms of thermal coolness?

I'll see if i can hv my com tech remove it.. and we'll see the definitive results lol. I do hope for a miracle, but if it doesn't run i'll still be satisfied then haha..

k00ly

Commendable
Oct 22, 2017
Yes, you guys were correct. I was able to remove the VGA and the display were on but were all gray color. So you guys were correct.

There was some thermal compound sticking on/under the heatsink. It was all intact. It's solid gel like --even almost like chewed bubblegum, but not as sticky as bubblegum, just bit sticky.
And I dont have thermal compound in my inventory yet. So I didn't do anything with it.
26U13.png

26U1E.png

Be sure not to bother putting your laptop back together until you clean out all the old thermal paste and replace it with new thermal paste. Taking apart your laptop basically broke whatever remaining seal between the old thermal paste (which is likely mostly dry now) and the CPU / GPU. Your laptop will still operate if you simply re-assembled the laptop, but it will very likely run a bit hotter than before.

Arctic Silver Ceramic is a pretty good and inexpensive thermal paste.

https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver-Ceramique-Premium-Compound/dp/B0007Y836W

k00ly

Commendable
Oct 22, 2017
I hv put back my laptop. To my surprise the temp remains the same 45-48C running Windows 7. 45-46C when idle.:p
It ran bit hotter on Linux though.. 50-51C on idle. I very was surprised and don't know why. All Linux from Fedora to Kali that I tried.

I cannot find the artic silver ceramic here, as I don't live in the USA. They only have the regular artic silver, almost all sells for $15 at least. They have a brand called DeepCool Z5 for les than $5. Is this DeepCool any good maybe (It's also on newegg usa) ?
How to clean the old paste, is using paper towel with 70% alcohol proper ?
Thx

The best way to clean off thermal paste is with a lint free cloth and 90% rubbing alcohol. Never heard of DeepCool Z5, but I don't really do much research on thermal paste anymore.

I suppose if you use a thick paper towel it will do the job. Just be sure to wipe away any lint it may leave behind.

Solution