Can my HP Pavilion dv6 have RAM upgrade?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

legendarysnake

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
its a http://support.hp.com/br-pt/product/HP-Pavilion-dv6-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/5082212/model/5113867/troubleshooting/ it have only 3gb ram. everytime i have to go to some game i have to close the browser(chrome) cause the pc use like 90% of all ram memory. if i upgrade(if its possible, of couse) to 3gb to 8gb, i believe it would make a huge diference. someone can help me and see if my notebook acept the upgrade?

Solution
I noticed the the speed difference when I upgraded my dual core intel cpu to quad core intel cpu. gpu is the cpu & as it is on the spare list then can upgrade your cpu to quad core. check hp site to make certain you have the latest bios installed 1st before doing the cpu upgrade.

robert600

Distinguished
ok ... thanks for the info about potplayer and that video - good for me to know that.

thinking of the games not freezing anymore - do you think that's due to setting your system to 'high performance?

About adding ram info - I dont think there is a way to display it in the main window when you open Core Temp. It will display it on the task bar though - the notification settings I use are: highest temp (in red font), processor load (in green font, and ram utilization (in blue font) - the temp is the actual temp in Celsius - the p load and ram util are percentages of total available. Oh ... and if i remember correctly - i could only see those values when i clicked the 'show hidden icons' up-arrow button on the task bar - so i dragged them down to the main task bar. I find it very useful to see what the system is up to when I do various tasks.

legendarysnake

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
my last post on this thread. just saying that im very happy that the 8gb of ram and my 4 cores intel apu, really, really helped me for almost a year. i was able to finish even metal gear phanton pain on this old notebook(on low-medium)! im finally with a new desktop, so my notebook will be inside my closet for now. i will use it in travels. thanks for all Collaborations on this thread :)

legendarysnake

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014

im too lazy to do that but thx for the sugestion anyway. w10 is not free i think, its free to install only but you have to activate later(buy a expensive microsoft license). also i have several system on virtual box on my notebook, my pc is fine with no viruses. and i think the metro interface is perfect for a small notebook screen :)

robert600

Distinguished
sorry ... forgot you were using win8.1. for some reason i thought you were on win7 and it's days seem to be numbered in terms of support and updates.

My upgrade to Win10 (from activated Win7) activated just fine with no fees either asked for or sent.