Can my HP Pavilion dv6 have RAM upgrade?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

legendarysnake

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
its a http://support.hp.com/br-pt/product/HP-Pavilion-dv6-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/5082212/model/5113867/troubleshooting/ it have only 3gb ram. everytime i have to go to some game i have to close the browser(chrome) cause the pc use like 90% of all ram memory. if i upgrade(if its possible, of couse) to 3gb to 8gb, i believe it would make a huge diference. someone can help me and see if my notebook acept the upgrade?

Solution
I noticed the the speed difference when I upgraded my dual core intel cpu to quad core intel cpu. gpu is the cpu & as it is on the spare list then can upgrade your cpu to quad core. check hp site to make certain you have the latest bios installed 1st before doing the cpu upgrade.

legendarysnake

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
Well, i already pay for it. Probably will reach here on 30 June or 1 July. Do you know any testing software to let me see the perfomance when the new cpu will be instaled and compare to my actual one? the man who sold me the piece, also said to install a new cpu, the windows vista on, I do not need to format the windows.

thats my actual score:

SystemEnvironment>

-<WinSPR>

<SystemScore>5.2</SystemScore>

<MemoryScore>7.1</MemoryScore>

<CpuScore>5.2</CpuScore>

<CPUSubAggScore>5.4</CPUSubAggScore>

<VideoEncodeScore>4.9</VideoEncodeScore>

<GraphicsScore>5.9</GraphicsScore>

<Dx9SubScore>5.3</Dx9SubScore>

<Dx10SubScore>0</Dx10SubScore>

<GamingScore>5.4</GamingScore>

<StdDefPlaybackScore>TRUE</StdDefPlaybackScore>

<HighDefPlaybackScore>TRUE</HighDefPlaybackScore>

<DiskScore>5.9</DiskScore>

-<ScoreRaisedDueToHigherPreviousScore>

<ActualD3DScore>5.3</ActualD3DScore>

</ScoreRaisedDueToHigherPreviousScore>

ffg7

Splendid
don't need to reload windows. using "ratings" in system showed both my upstairs computer & my friend's computer after both upgraded showed the ratings did go up tho the video not as much. I have a 1gig video card & he has onboard video. both processors are the same intel quad core 2.5ghz, 6meg cache & 1333 fsb.

robert600

Distinguished
I upgraded the CPU of my g6 from a 2 core A4 3320m to an 4 core A6 3430. It made an amazing difference. Most folks would not recommend doing this as the A4 was 35 watts and A6 is 45 watts but - no problems so far. I think you'll be well pleased with your upgrade! BTW - thinking of ram - mine sees 8 gb in each slot (despite what HP says) so I imagine yours would too if you ever figured you needed that much.

legendarysnake

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
i imagine that robert600, i saw some info about this cpu, and its has a 1,7ghz and its quad core. mine will be quad core as well but 1,5 ghz. I glad to see that you noticed a great diference, that make me excited about my upgrade.
btw i have some news, the cpu is already in my city! probably will reach my house until fryday. next week i will do the upgrade.

robert600

Distinguished
Ok ... good luck with that! Be sure to meticulously clean the fins etc when you take the fan assembly off - mine was so clogged with dirt and crud it was unbelievable - it was like 75% clogged. I disassembled the whole thing (very easy to do). Since you mention living in a hot climate this is particularly important for you. Oh ... and don't forget the fresh thermal paste on the CPU and where ever else there is old stuff. Mine had a secondary chip with paste on it - no idea what it was - tempted to say something to do with graphics but .... i think the graphics is built into the CPU. Anyways .... where there was old paste - clean and apply new paste. Also when you boot up after the upgrade - you might find some strange goings-on - it's because by taking the bios battery out (you might consider putting a new battery back in - cost $1.00) - you will have lost your date settings and they will be reset to 2008 or something like that and lots of software won't like that one bit. So ... don't forget to change the date to the proper value!

legendarysnake

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
I did a new Windows Experience Index score test right now with my new cpu, what you guys think(compare with post 24)?

CPUScore : 5,2
D3DScore : 5,4
DiskScore : 5,9
GraphicsScore : 5,9
MemoryScore : 7,1
TimeTaken : MostRecentAssessment
WinSATAssessmentState : 1
WinSPRLevel : 5,2

theres a print of the new cpu installed(its on brazilian portuguese) below
http://image.prntscr.com/image/f24fd8009ee44ec8a7da9e0fe33a0a11.png

The problem is, my notebook is opening things faster(loading faster also) games are opening faster and running in better perfomance but theres a random delay. sometimes is with my mouse arrow , sometimes im scroling my steam games and some games dont load for a couple of seconds... it just dont feel natural anymore.

i was playing a game and when some strong visual effects happened, the game freezed for like 0,3 seconds and turn back, and it was a competitve game.

none of that things happened before, i dont know if i need to reformat my pc. i would like some tips.

robert600

Distinguished
Have you downloaded autodetectutility from AMD site to ensure you have the latest drivers etc for the new cpu/gpu?
Also, do you use any software that tells you how much cpu/ram/temp are being used when these problems occur - i like core temp (freeware) because it will display this info on the taskbar.
I'd be curious to know how this processor handles HEVC 1080p video files if you wouldn't mind trying it out and reporting back (potplayer seems to be the software of choice for these files - freeware).

legendarysnake

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014

yeah sure. i instaled core temp, heres the results http://prnt.sc/bwgw6y only chrome and some small software are opened. no games. tell me more about those hevc full hd video files? where can i find it? vlc cant handle it?

robert600

Distinguished
those are good temps - of course the processor isn't working very hard but it's an encouraging sign.

HEVC are x265 encoded video files. Supposedly twice the compression of x264 (so 1/2 the size of similar quality x264 or double the quality of same sized files) and .... they allow 10 bit color depth which is quite helpful for dark scenes. This extra compression is much harder for a CPU/GPU to decode so some systems can handle them and others can't. This format will likely take off soon as 4K video becomes more in demand. I get my files from torrent sites but there might be some on utube. Somehow VLC 'dropped the ball' with x265 despite being an excellent player for x264 encodes.
Thinking of your gaming issues - do you have your system set to 'high performance'?

robert600

Distinguished
now that you have coretemp, can you put processor temp, processor usage, ram usage on the task bar - run your game with the task bar showing and see what is happening with the processor when you experience the performance issues you mentioned?

legendarysnake

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014

there you go http://prnt.sc/bwtna1 in the background theres metal gear 5 phanton pain running plus google chrome with 10 tabs opened.

i did an research on google for x265 video files download but i could not find anything. i would be glad if you send me a pm with a torrent magnet link of a x265 file. i just dont download torrents anymore, unless is that way because of virus and trojans.
my notebook its set to balanced, not high performance. i totally forget i could change that. now is with high performance settings.
well i dont have plans for playing or seeing videos in 4k because my notebook resolution is 1366x768 by default. i can see full hd videos but i prefer to play in HD cause it feels more natural to me that way. even my tv is hd(not full) either so, it wont worth it imo...

robert600

Distinguished
Thinking of the HEVC, can you go to
http://jell.yfish.us/
click the button that says "Show only 10 bit"
download "jellyfish-10-mbps-hd-hevc-10bit" - it should be the 2nd file on the list (it is 36 Mb in size - only a 30 sec movie clip) - be sure to select save file when it asks - by default it might want to stream the file - I have no interest in that).
open the file with potplayer and tell me how it plays - i.e is there any jerky motion, freezing etc.?
Note that this is a video only file so don't be surprised that there is no sound.

legendarysnake

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014

i didnt notice anything wrong.

about the jellyfish(kinda creep) video i tested with vlc and was freezing a lot, like one second moving 2 seconds freezed, and it was a gray huge pixels everywhere. i dont know where to download the potplayer, there are two version on google. can you send me the right link?

robert600

Distinguished
"i didnt notice anything wrong."

On July 13 you mentioned freezing problems, display problems etc with some of your games - can you play whatever game it was that was doing this and when the problem happens - note the cpu info that coretemp provides? It might be a good idea to add RAM to the task bar info.

"about the jellyfish(kinda creep) video i tested with vlc and was freezing a lot, like one second moving 2 seconds freezed, and it was a gray huge pixels everywhere. i dont know where to download the potplayer, there are two version on google. can you send me the right link? "

Yes, while VLC is great for x264 video but .... somehow they really messed up with x265 :-(

Here's the link to potplayer

https://potplayer.daum.net/

You want the 64 bit version - (20.1 Mb). After installing and opening - don't change any settings - it will optimize itself for your system. Prior to opening - can you get coretemp to put its info on the taskbar - then open potplayer - play the jellyfish file (yes, it is kinda creepy lol) and tell me how smoothly it plays - if you could also tell me approximately the pcu load while playing (I know the load jumps around a bit but just approximately). Thanks - this is much appreciated.

legendarysnake

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014

oh sorry i forget to tell that now the games are stable again. i didnt notice any problems at all anymore. the video with the jellyfish was kinda normal in potplayer, its was freezing at some points but now its okay. how do i add ram info?