Solved! Can someone help me perform a bios update I'm just a mom

Cheryl_9

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015
My sons Asus G751 JT is having weird battery issues. I recently had the battery replaced in a repair facility and now it will only charge to 80% and cuts off when the power cord is removed. I asked people on the Asus forums and was told to do a bios update. These are the instructions they sent. Here are the steps for the BIOS reset:
Method ONE:
Step 1: Please turn off the unit completely.
Step 2: Please turn the unit on and quickly press the F2 key on keyboard to enter BIOS.
Step 3: Please press the F9 key in the BIOS to load optimized defaults and select yes to confirm.
Step 4: Please press the F10 key to save and exit and select yes to confirm.

Method TWO:
Step 1: Please press the WINDOWS key and the letter I or go to settings.
Step 2: Please select Update & Security at the bottom right corner of the screen.
Step 3: Please select Recovery and scroll to the bottom of the screen for the option "Advance Start-Up".
Step 4: Please wait for the Advanced Start-up Options screen.
Step 5: Please select Troubleshoot
Step 6: Please select Advance Options
Step 7: Please select UEFI Firmware Settings
Step 8: Please press the F9 key in the BIOS to load optimized defaults and select yes to confirm.
Step 9: Please press the F10 key to save and exit and select yes to confirm.
My question is do I perform both steps or just one or the other? OMG SO HARD!

Solution
You can perform either/or

Both of those methods are different ways to accomplishing the same end-goal. The first method will be very different looking, and the second method goes through windows, so that should be more familiar. Do whichever :D

kaptainkuftic

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
You can perform either/or

Both of those methods are different ways to accomplishing the same end-goal. The first method will be very different looking, and the second method goes through windows, so that should be more familiar. Do whichever :D

Solution

Cheryl_9

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015
I can't fully deplete the battery because when the power cable comes out the machine shuts off immediately even tho its saying 80%? Does anyone have input on which method is easier I'm no technician here

Willdobbo

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
To be honest it just sounds like a faulty laptop battery to me, Have you tried taking it back to the place where you purchased the battery and told them its not working as it should?

kaptainkuftic

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016

You don't need to fully deplete the battery. That was recommended for older batteries, not the kind we use today

CellBreak

Prominent
Apr 19, 2017

Usually, The more simple one is the easiest... But Try 1 Because that is the easiest and, Its just BAM BAM BAM, Done