Can Technics Amp SU 610 connect to Harmon Kardon 5.1 plus LG tv

Michael Ben

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
I have a old great Technics Amp Id like to keep its a SU 610. I have just purchased a Harmon Kardon 20/HKTS 30 home theatre system 5.1 surround. Id like to connect this to my Technics Amp and LG 42 Ld450 TV..is this possible? I have No centre for middle speaker. I was told id need a Decoder or HMDI and cables? Which would these be please i'm not so technical.Thanks for your suggestions.

Solution
You are attempting to use a 25 year old amp and disappointed that you aren't able to get 2010 capabilities. If you want 5.1 surround then you have to buy new audio equipment. That could be a surround sound pre-amp which you could use with your Technics (plus a couple others). BUT, I wouldn't recommend it. Use the Technics in the garage with an iPod as input. Get a new surround sound receiver. Use the capabilities of optical audio output or HDMI as they are designed to be used.

kanewolf

Judicious
Your amp is only a stereo device. You can use two of the five speakers plus the subwoofer. You will have to get STEREO out of your TV. That may not be easy .... You will have to get an adapter to convert from the optical output to stereo RCA. Something like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Optical-Toslink-Coaxial-Converter/dp/B00ANIIY9I it will take the optical output and provide stereo analog that you can send into your Technics.

Like Kanewolf says, you will be "regressing" to stereo only. Is that acceptable?

Another option is, am becoming aware for folks who want to use power amps but don't want to spend on expensive Pre-amps is to get an AV Receiver with Pre-outs where you can attach your fav power amp, but not with this HK thing.

Michael Ben

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017

Michael Ben

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017

oh now im worried..does this mean im unable to listen to my 5.1 full surround then? ie losing 2 speakers?..or should I buy a brand new amp to resolve the issue? (Thanks in advance for your kind quick response) :)

kanewolf

Judicious
You are attempting to use a 25 year old amp and disappointed that you aren't able to get 2010 capabilities. If you want 5.1 surround then you have to buy new audio equipment. That could be a surround sound pre-amp which you could use with your Technics (plus a couple others). BUT, I wouldn't recommend it. Use the Technics in the garage with an iPod as input. Get a new surround sound receiver. Use the capabilities of optical audio output or HDMI as they are designed to be used.

Solution