Question Can the webcam be enabled by hackers even though it's disabled in the UEFI BIOS?

afranklin197

Great
Jan 17, 2019
I have disabled the webcam in the UEFI Firmware Settings which meant no apps could turn on the webcam.

Can hackers still turn on the webcam even though it's disabled in the UEFI Firmware Settings.

While it 'should' be OK, there really is no guaranty. It really depends on the system and how it is being accessed.

it is just as easy to put a sticker or piece of electrical tape over the webcam and then no one can see a thing.

Additionally, turning off this option in BIOS can, on some laptops, also turn off your microphone.

Now granted you may not have a problem with that, as if you are worried about someone hacking the cam I would say you should be worried about them hacking the mic as well. However, if you use the microphone for anything often, that could be a problem.

afranklin197

Great
Jan 17, 2019
While it 'should' be OK, there really is no guaranty. It really depends on the system and how it is being accessed.

it is just as easy to put a sticker or piece of electrical tape over the webcam and then no one can see a thing.

Additionally, turning off this option in BIOS can, on some laptops, also turn off your microphone.

Now granted you may not have a problem with that, as if you are worried about someone hacking the cam I would say you should be worried about them hacking the mic as well. However, if you use the microphone for anything often, that could be a problem.

The microphone still works on my computer even though the webcam is turned off in the UEFI Firmware Settings, but the webcam doesn't work when it's turned off in the UEFI Firmware Settings, plus there's no option in my BIOS to turn off the microphone, just the webcam.