Can this motherboard handle these headphones?

Asulia

Estimable
May 31, 2014
I was wondering if anyone knew if this on-amp/audio chip can handle the Beyerdynamic DT 770 250 ohms?

- Gigabyte Z97 Sniper G1

Thanks in advance

l1ghtm4st3r

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Handle? Yes, it can drive them to a sound level that is reasonable.
Performance wise however, get an amp. Those headphones at 250 ohm really perform much better than they would out of your headphone amp built into the mobo.
You don't need something expensive, an e07k+e09k performs well with them. Or anything around that price mark.
Not only will an amp make it louder, it will really improve the soundstage, they will sound much more blanketed and closed in without a reasonable amp so definitely advisable although not a necessity.

Hope this helps.

Asulia

Estimable
May 31, 2014
Hey, yes it helped a lot. I've decided to pick up the DT 990 250 ohms + the DT 770 80 ohms, for testing purpose. I find the 990 having a similar bass as the DT 770, however some sounds are a bit weird and suck on the DT 990, could this be because of having no amp?

Thank you

l1ghtm4st3r

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

It's widely said that the treble's are quite harsh on the 990's so that may be what you're hearing (this is the upper end of the sound spectrum where higher pitch noises are). The fact that the 990 is also 250ohm could mean it sounds a bit 'loose' compared to the 770 by being unamped but they aren't crazy difficult to drive so I don't think it's due to the lack of an amp.
The main difference between these 2 headphones is the fact that the DT770 is closed back which means all the sounds you hear is put straight into your head whereas with the dt990 it's open backed so has a much fuller soundstage, i.e. sounds more like you're 20 seats back at a concert (open back) compared to on stage with them (closed back).

Going from earphones/closed back to something like the dt990 will feel like a strange jump. Most people either prefer one or the other but can appreciate the other's qualities. What you might describe what you're hearing from the 990 is a more 'airy' sound.
Ultimately A/B testing may not be the best approach, stick with one headphone for few days and only use it, then stick with the other for a few days and only use it. Then make an informed decision as to which you'd prefer to keep.

Asulia

Estimable
May 31, 2014
Yeah, I've used a open headphone for about 2-3 years but the quality kinda sucks (Razer Megalodon) slowly going into better gear and new to the whole audio thing. I've worn the DT 770 for about 1,5 week and it's still really "annoying" (it's getting less and less over time though) at first my ears hurt after long sessions (3-8 hours) because of the pressure closed headphones put on my ears. Also not hearing myself while talking was a big problem. Using the DT 990 for 2 days now, will use them for a nother week as you sugested and make a decision out of that. (I think I'll take the DT 990's though because of the similarities to my old headset.

What should I be looking at to drive my DT 990's ? (Once again I don't know anything about this stuff yet.)

Thank you for your time and effort.

l1ghtm4st3r

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

Does sound like you're enjoying the DT990's more.
There's a good range of amps that can power the DT990's, it's mainly up to how much you're willing to spend.
Personally, I'd say get the JDSLabs Objective2 amp + odac combo. I assume you're in the US?
They're about $280 for the combo but if you're pretty practicaly you can build it yourself using the parts that can be bought from Switzerland (or even buying the combo is cheaper). http://www.headnhifi.com/
Or from US: http://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/o2-odac-combo/

Buying this will open up options as it's a pretty versatile amp and even if you upgrade there's a good chance the O2 can power whatever you get reasonably well.
Else, as a cheaper option, I'd advise the E07K/E09K combo or E17/E09k combo or even just the E17 on its own. (These are all Fiio branded). Some like them, some don't, some say they colour sound and are not as transparent as most would like but they're good at what they do for the price that they're selling them at.

One other option is to go for a Schiit Modi+Magni stack which is amp+dac again but made by the very American and very reliable Schiit company which I believe offer 5 yr warranties on their products.
Again, just an option.

Performance: Objective2+ODAC > Schiit Magni+Modi > Fiio combo
Price: Objective2+ODAC < Schiit Magni+Modi < Fiio combo

Although the magni+modi vs Fiio can switch places in terms of performance and price e.g.
E09K + E17 is better than Schiit stack in performance but also more costly.

Interested in what you decide to do, keep us informed :)

theLeggo

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014
the opamp chip on your motherboard is the same as the fiio e09k. So, the most bang for your buck would be investing in better opamp chips rather than the fiio. The schiit magni 2 and modi 2. I only heard the O2+ODAC on some akg q701 at a canjam so I am not comfortable saying how the sound differed from the schiit stack. Out of curiosity is there much of a difference between the two gain setting on that motherboard?

l1ghtm4st3r

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

Correct they use the same chip however the E09K also has the TPA6120, just wanted to point out not to to disregard the e9 straight off.

Asulia

Estimable
May 31, 2014
I think I'll stay with the onboard amp for now, since I've like 100 euro left.. I'm also located in the Netherlands btw. Did not fuzzle around with the switches yet, sound seemed good.

Also what are the differences betweena a DAC and an AMP?

Ninfa_

Commendable
Feb 13, 2016

Hi, DAC is to convert 01010101000001010 (computer logique) into ~~~~~~~~~~~~~. It's basicaly an External soundcard.
AMP just push your headphone to the best of his capabilities. It give juice :)

So what did you do finaly? did it sound good enough?