Can you help me with choosing notebook for office stuff + maybe a movie

Ascaron427

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016
Can you help me with choosing notebook for office stuff + maybe a movie

1. What is your budget?
400-500euro

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14 or 15

3. What screen resolution do you want?
I think full hd is too much for this budget so i guess anything lower ?

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
Not much, 3 hours maybe ?

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Probably no

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
MS office, Internet, Movie

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500GB at least

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Slovakia/Czech websites

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I don't know

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
dvd rom would be nice but not necessary

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Asus, Lenovo, Dell

I don't like HP and acer but just heard it's not best quality, no personal usage

13. What country do you live in?
Slovakia

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I want to buy it for my mother. I choose my ntb (Lenovo y510p) alone but I think more expensive notebook is easier to pick as there isn't choosing between dedicated and integrated card, I have no idea about these things.
Thank you :)

Solution

That is definitely a fine-looking machine. The specifications are OK for your requirements (and your mother's), but I do have 1 small problem: The screen is a TN panel and in my opinion they are almost useless on a portable device. If you sit right in front of it and don't move too much, it's OK, but if you start to move either yourself or the laptop, the screen washes out with grey shadows and discolouration. But it seems there's a link in the spec section about TN panels, so see for yourself - maybe I'm...
Hello, Ascaron:

I must say it is a bit of a challenge as I don't speak or read Czech or Slovakian, so the closest I could get was Amazon in Germany. Here's a stylish red 14" Lenovo Yoga 500, available for €500:
https://www.amazon.de/Lenovo-Convertible-Quad-Core-Prozessor-Touchscreen/dp/B016QB8UQ2/ref=sr_1_9?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1479417454&sr=1-9

I don't know if this is of any help to you, living in Slovakia, but I'm sure you can indicate any destination within the Euro zone. Also, are you open to buying a used/refurbished computer? If so, it will increase your options significantly.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

That is definitely a fine-looking machine. The specifications are OK for your requirements (and your mother's), but I do have 1 small problem: The screen is a TN panel and in my opinion they are almost useless on a portable device. If you sit right in front of it and don't move too much, it's OK, but if you start to move either yourself or the laptop, the screen washes out with grey shadows and discolouration. But it seems there's a link in the spec section about TN panels, so see for yourself - maybe I'm overreacting.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

Solution