Solved! Can you split an ethernet signal to composite outputs?

nilodavila12

Great
Aug 2, 2018
I have a Samsung UHD 48" TV, which I receive my video signal through an ethernet cable. I would like to hook a DVD recorder to the unit, but without a video out port on the TV the possible solution I'm contemplating is to split the ethernet-in cable to composite out connections. I would buy an ethernet spliter junction , just like the splitter junctions for a telephone line, and from one of the junctions I would install an ethernet to composite splitter. Is this possible?

Solution

I would not like to be the one raining on your parade, but MythTV (or any other software) is not a solution for what you want, even if such a solution exists. MythTV is a DVR for over-the-air TV only, and your sources are anything but. Again - there 's (almost) no legal way for you to make personal recordings of streaming content (being it YouTube, Amazon Video, Netflix, Apple TV etc)

The way pirates steal shows is by using computers and modified media players on them. Gamers have special hardware allowing them to capture HDMI signals and record them as video files, but again - nothing that would work...
I will guess that you have an ethernet cable with adapters at both ends to take the place of an HDMI cable.
If that's the case then you could use an active HDMI splitter to connect both the TV and recorder or split the ethernet cable and add another HDMI adapter. Then use an active HDMI to AV converter that the recorder can accept. Since the recording won't be HD the quality will be lousy.
If you are using AV-Cat baluns to convert an ethernet cable to an AV cable use then you would just need the same balun.

nilodavila12

Great
Aug 2, 2018

Sorry for the delay. Is there any way that we could communicate by email, so we could interchange diagrams?

I have some difficulty understanding your answer- with a diagram it would make it easier to understand.

Here's a diagram of my TV connection:

http://i63.tinypic.com/s0zdsi.jpg

Before reaching for the solution proposed by @americanaudiophile, you have to provide a lot more information about how you get your TV programme thru an Ethernet cable. Once this is clear, a (possible) solution for splitting that signal to a recorder can be proposed.

So - what is connected to this Ethernet cable, at both ends? For sure, it is not connected directly into your TV (unless yo've subscribed to some form of IPTV).

Forums don't work like that, this is not a private consulting service. Nobody get paid here. Forum like this is designed so others browsing can see solutions and benefit the public. Kinda like a call in radio show.

nilodavila12

Great
Aug 2, 2018

Here's the diagram of my connection: http://i63.tinypic.com/s0zdsi.jpg

I get Amazon Prime streaming through the internet, as well as Apple TV.

nilodavila12

Great
Aug 2, 2018

Kanewolf posted how members could post images, so that will help a lot>

Thanks Kanewolf.

nilodavila12

Great
Aug 2, 2018

Thanks- this will help a lot.

kanewolf

Judicious
Based on the diagram, you are already "splitting" the ethernet cable with the switch. What more do you want to "split"? Is the "Internet" on your diagram coming directly from your ISP? Is so, what you need is not a switch but a home router. Your ISP will only provide one public IP address. You get a home router and that one public IP address becomes many private IP addresses.

nilodavila12

Great
Aug 2, 2018

How will I connect the DVD recorder?

kanewolf

Judicious

There is nothing to connect it to to record. You could connect it to the TV to play, but you don't have any sources to record from in that diagram. The RCA connections on the TV would be for input.

To put it another way: You're watching "digital" signals - Amazon / Apple streaming over Internet. Your recorder is "old-school", analogue device, it needs analogue signal from eg old-school set-top-box (with analogue outputs).

Due to copyright laws, HDMI signals are (mostly) encrypted, and there are no consumer-level recorders accepting HDMI signal. THe fact that your TV processes directly Amazon video does not make it any easier.

And, as I said in my first post - it would be against TOS (terms-of-service) with Amazon, Apple etc to record their programmes. If you need a copy of their shows, you have (almost) no other way but to buy them on DVD.

And last but not least: Your drawing should be put as an example for other posters to follow when they explain their problems!

engineer5261

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
Do you know the pinout of the Ethernet/RJ45 cable? Do you know what kind of protocol / interface they are using (probably not as that is proprietary information)? That cable has 8 contacts (8P8C). How do you know that the video signal can be completely transmitted using only 3 of these 8 contacts? You are probably receiving digital input, but you want to somehow convert that to analog RCA signal which can not be done with a simple connector.

I think what you will need to do is completely understand the interface pins on the ethernet connector and each pins function. You will then need to design a circuit / board with an application processor code/software that can decrypt the incoming signal, perform the digital to analog conversion and then output it on an RCA interface.

Apart from the legal concerns as stated by Alabalcho, I do not think it would be easy, even if you did find and understand all the protocols / encryption techniques etc. You would require knowledge of all their protocols, a degree in electrical engineering and probably someone who has designed low power high speed circuits before.

I do not think this is worth attempting

Did you ever read the whole discussion about that? It's perfectly clear that that Ethernet cable is not carrying video signals, but Ethernet frames. Even if OP reads Ethernet 100Base electrical standard, and TCP/IP protocol, and frames, what device the OP would need to decode / decrypt the Amazon Video / Apple TV stream, re-encode it back, and output it on analogue outputs suitable for the recorder?

engineer5261

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016

Like I said he will need to design the hardware and software himself. I imagine this could be done using an ARM based App processor like an iMX with an ethernet physical interface, or perhaps a cheaper microcontroller like an STM32 along with the relevant DAC's and any cryptography HW. If he understands the encryption and protocol he will have to write the code himself to decrypt it and extract the sound / video data to the analog outputs on the target chip, composite out can then be reconstructed in software and brought out to a physical connector.

Of course you may hit many brick walls during development and realize things like "oh I can't do it on this processor, oh I need something faster, oh i'm getting EMI interference I need to make some signal conditioning chains or put ferrite shielding, maybe the noise is from something else in my circuit. Possible but I do not think it's worth it given the time and effort involved and the thousands of pages of standards documentation and skills that will need to be picked up

But I do not think this research project is worth it.

nilodavila12

Great
Aug 2, 2018

Thanks for your input. My solution seems to be a digital DVR recorder, like MythTV, and then record the videos to my DVD recorder.

nilodavila12

Great
Aug 2, 2018

Thanks for your engineering input.