Can you upgrade the wifi card on a dell 15r 5521 laptop?

apologetic_zombie

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
Hey all, pretty simple question, I have my laptop taken apart (to replace a broken display) and was wondering if it is possible to upgrade the wifi card. Currently it has the Centrino 2230 Card. I remember previously trying to upgrade a Lenovo wifi card but failed due to it not booting until the original was reinstalled. My Laptop is the Dell 15r 5521. Thanks for your time.

Solution
yes it is up-gradable. first you need to have the new Wi-Fi card on hand. Next you download the drivers for the new card on to a flash drive. Next uninstall the current cards drivers then shut down. Replace teh card in the laptop and boot into the OS. Use the flash drive to install the wi-fi adapter's driver and all should be done.

bgunner

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
yes it is up-gradable. first you need to have the new Wi-Fi card on hand. Next you download the drivers for the new card on to a flash drive. Next uninstall the current cards drivers then shut down. Replace teh card in the laptop and boot into the OS. Use the flash drive to install the wi-fi adapter's driver and all should be done.

Solution

JHos

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017
Not a solution, but a related question. I have the same laptop and was wondering the same thing. What upgrade card did you go with?

Other recommendations out there?

Also, do you know if the memory can be configured for 8 + 4 or does it need to be matching pairs - 4 + 4 or 8 + 8?

Thanks,

Jim