Cannot install Windows on a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtomicic1

Prominent
Aug 18, 2017
So my friend had Kali Linux on his laptop and wanted to switch to Windows 10. He couldn't boot to the Windows installation with his USB because he would always get a GRUB like this but he only had Kali Linux option there. He asked me if I could help him out and I tried everything but couldn't get the laptop to start the Windows installation and then I stupidly erased the partition on which Kali Linux was installed hoping that would let me install windows and now whenever I try to turn on the laptop I get into the grub rescued mode with an error "no such partition". Now I'm wondering if there is a way to fix this and get Windows on the laptop or at least a Linux or something. The laptop in question is Toshiba Satellite L750D.

Solution
whatever, you are booting to grub, not the usb. figure that out and it's clear sailing. you can boot the usb, delete all the partitions on the hdd or ssd and install clean.

if you can't boot to usb, make a bootable DVD

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
make a windows 10 installer using the Media Creation Utility from Microsoft and make a DVD if USB booting won't work. do a clean install of windows. delete all partitions using the installer and let windows partition and install. it should be fine

dtomicic1

Prominent
Aug 18, 2017

I just tried this and I'm still getting the same error: "no such partition" as soon as I choose the option to boot from the DVD the same happens with the USB.

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
you should be able to boot from DVD, get into you bios and set the DVD as the first boot order, you keep hitting that stupid grub nonsense. you are not booting off the DVD. if you can't, then hardware failure time.

dtomicic1

Prominent
Aug 18, 2017

I tried with two different DVD's neither one of them would start the windows installation I tried them on my PC and they work okay so the problem is not in the DVD's just whatever I pick to boot from either a USB or a DVD I get presented with that grub rescue. Also I downloaded Kali Linux and made a bootable USB to try something and I can't install it but I can start the live version and I made a partition with GParted. And now when I get to the grub rescue (when I try to boot from HDD/USB/DVD) I get the error unknown filesystem instead of no such partition so I don't know if that means anything.

Yeah I changed the boot priority, I tried using the boot selector I also tried with many different USB's and DVD's nothing seems to work.

dtomicic1

Prominent
Aug 18, 2017

I set it up with Rufus, it’s bootable since it works fine on my PC

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
whatever, you are booting to grub, not the usb. figure that out and it's clear sailing. you can boot the usb, delete all the partitions on the hdd or ssd and install clean.

if you can't boot to usb, make a bootable DVD

Solution

Try not using Rufus. Just let the Windows media creation tool do all the work.

We've had several customers run into issues using Rufus. It's a great utility, but it's not needed to create a bootable Win 10 USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.