Solved! Cannot see Sharp VCR menu on TV screen

debodun

Estimable
Mar 11, 2014
I was gifted a used Sharp VCR (model # VC A524OU). It came with a remote (G0774GE) but no owner's manual, nor could I locate one online. I have a Sony CRT TV with a DTA adapter. When I removed the VCR I was using, I connected the Sharp in exactly the same way - DTA cable to in port on the VCR and the out cable to the TV. I tried to program it, but no menus show on the TV screen. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong? BTW - I do not have the specific remote to the TV - I use the DTA remote to change channels and other functions.

Solution
Is there a "test sig" switch on the back?

If so, multiple manuals all say to do this for other sharp VCR models.

"To view the output of your VCR on the television screen, you must select an unused channel on your TVand tune it to the output of your VCR (factory preset to UHF channel 31 to 40).

NOTE:TUNE THE TV, NOT THE VCR.

1) Select an unused channel on your TV and press thepower.

2) TEST SIG switch to ON.

3) Adjust the tuning of the selected TV channel until the test pattern (two vertical bars) appears on thescreen.

NOTE: If interference or a beat pattern is received when the test pattern is tuned in, use a small screwdriver to turn the RF converter output channel adjuster to change the VCR output channel, and then retune your...
Jan 22, 2018
Assuming you haven't tried this yet: Make sure your TV is on the right channel (3 or 4 in most cases, but I have seen some oddball channels like 2, 7, 6x, 9x, 1xx and such with some models). Just try each tv channel with the VCR on and see if that works.

Jan 22, 2018
Is there a "test sig" switch on the back?

If so, multiple manuals all say to do this for other sharp VCR models.

"To view the output of your VCR on the television screen, you must select an unused channel on your TVand tune it to the output of your VCR (factory preset to UHF channel 31 to 40).

NOTE:TUNE THE TV, NOT THE VCR.

1) Select an unused channel on your TV and press thepower.

2) TEST SIG switch to ON.

3) Adjust the tuning of the selected TV channel until the test pattern (two vertical bars) appears on thescreen.

NOTE: If interference or a beat pattern is received when the test pattern is tuned in, use a small screwdriver to turn the RF converter output channel adjuster to change the VCR output channel, and then retune your TV TEST SIG terminal."

That's from the manual... several manuals. It should also be the same on yours. Here's the link: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/784183/Sharp-Vc-A53x.html?page=8#manual

Solution