Solved! Cannot update G50-80 to Windows 1809

c0r5a38

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Running Windows 10 Pro, Windows Update does not display option for 1809 when checking for updates. How can I determine what the incompatibility is, Lenovo scan is showing all drivers as current.

Solution

c0r5a38

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Thanks for your response. I've always updated via Windows Update so I've got some basic questions using the tool. 1) will a manual clean install wipe out my current image? 2) do i need to backup and restore all my files? 3) I have languages other than English (and probably some other options) as well - will it carry over to the new install? I feel more comfortable with an in place upgrade although a clean install appeals to me more.

1. Yes, which is exactly what you WANT, especially if you've already been through one or more major updates. I'm not going to go through ALL of the reasons why, but one of the biggest reasons you want to do this is that they seem to make major changes to the driver frameworks during each new major update much like what we used to expect when updating, for example, from Windows 7 to 8.1, 8.1 to 10, etc.

This tends to create issues for a lot of people much like a change of platform, so a lot of us recommend doing a clean install every time there is a major update OR at least periodically, not going more than two or three major updates without doing a clean install. Obviously, if you have no issues after the upgrade at all then that's fine, but if you have any unusual behavior or issues that were not present previously I'd immediately look at that option if you don't want to just skip the middle man and go straight to a clean install.

Yes, you ALWAYS need to backup any important files. You should backup any and all important files EVERY time you do a major update, before changing hardware, and periodically (Like, at least bi-weekly) whether you are changing hardware or updating in any way anyhow. Otherwise, you have nobody to blame but yourself when something happens to the system, and it will, because it has for pretty much everybody at some point due to a borked installation or failed drive.

As far as languages go, that is strictly a property of your advanced settings. I'm pretty sure the is secondary language support in ALL versions of Windows 10 and if you current installation supports it, then any upgrade or clean install should support it as well.

The most important thing to do before every doing anything at all, is make sure your Windows license or digital entitlement is attached to a Microsoft account. That way there can be no question of whether or not it is valid after a clean install. You simply log into your Microsoft account or enter your old product key and poof, activated, even after a hardware change, unless you have an OEM version of Windows 10 and in many cases, even then.

c0r5a38

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Alright all is well as I've optioned for the update in place. I wasn't clear on the steps required for a clean install with regard to all my other software (Office 2016 etc.)...would a re-install be required? So I figured update in place would be my initial attempt and if problems were encountered I would pursue the clean install. Meanwhile it's looking good. Thanks for your help.

If the in place upgrade worked and everything is working to your satisfaction, then good enough. If you decide you want to do the clean install at some point, then yes, you would need to also reinstall all games and applications afterwards.

Nothing would be kept. No settings, files or applications would remain. It's not POSSIBLE to do a clean install and keep stuff. That's the whole POINT of it being a CLEAN install. Leaving anything that exists behind just ensures that there are still potentially problems after the installation. The only way to eradicate ALL possible existing issues, is to get rid of the whole works and start fresh.

But if it's working fine after the upgrade then perhaps it's not necessary for your situation.