canon cameras digital batteries testing

FVOB

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Hello,
A "fully-charged" battery in my Canon XTi goes almost immediately to 1/2 and then is good for about 40 shots. One battery is a Canon and about 4 years old. The brand of the other is unknown, but ia year newer. Both act the same. Battery or camera

cin19

Distinguished
Most like the battery.

For the Li-ion, which is one of the best energy densities, no memory effect, and a slow loss of charge when not in use.
The lifespan of your Lithium-ion battery is about 3 yrs in textbook, but I will say more than that. I have one canon 20D (this is one of backup camera) still works well.

A Li-ion battery can also fail short than that;
1) undercharge, if a Li-ion pack is stored in a discharged condition for long period of time will lose its charging capacity.
2) discharge/charge cycles, you can have as much as 4,700 discharge cycles if you recharge it at every 10% drop in capacity; 1,500 discharge cycles if you wait until 50% drop; and only 500 discharge cycles for 100% full recharge.

You can find more info from
batteryuniversity.com
howstuffworks.com

kellywilliams0448

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012

Why don’t you get in touch with the Canon a/s service center for proper clarification?

May be four years is enough for you to get a new battery patterning to the duration of the battery.

tedmathew90

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Most at times it is hard to identify which electronics product (like camera, tv and even notebook) is the best in terms of durability. Sometimes, i just believe that getting the best Camera is like winning a lottery. I am saying this because i got a Nikon camera that i bought for over five years now, and it is just ok.

kabaxhdc123

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
For the Li-ion, which is one of the best energy densities, no memory effect, and a slow loss of charge when not in use.