Canon Vs Nikon for first SLR

Marklamarkle

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014
Hi all,

So I've been using my tutor's Canon cameras when learning about film, and I feel comfortable with most canon cameras.

When researching for an SLR of my own, had my mind set on the Canon 700d because it is familiar, however I recently came across the Nikon 5200 which can record at double the frame rate of the canon and has a 24 MP sensor instead of an 18 MP sensor.

My question is which model shall I go for? On eBay they're roughly the same price and I will be using it for film work with a little bit of photography.

Is the Nikon layout much different then a Canon? If I do go for a canon I will be able to use the tutor's L series lenses.

Thanks!

Solution
My first DSLR was only 6MP and it took great pictures. I even made one canvas print that was a 3 foot by 4 foot portrait. So don't worry about megapixels.
If you are familiar with Canons then go with them. They seem to be a little more popular with the Pros, but the reality there is not much difference between Nikon and Canon. The more important thing is not the camera, but the lenses and flashes that you have access to. Those you keep as you periodically upgrade cameras.

DrKrizzle

Estimable
Jul 28, 2014
My first DSLR was only 6MP and it took great pictures. I even made one canvas print that was a 3 foot by 4 foot portrait. So don't worry about megapixels.
If you are familiar with Canons then go with them. They seem to be a little more popular with the Pros, but the reality there is not much difference between Nikon and Canon. The more important thing is not the camera, but the lenses and flashes that you have access to. Those you keep as you periodically upgrade cameras.

Solution

Heinrich17

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Canon and Nikon are probably the worst choices for Photo cameras used as video currently. Ever since the GH2 came out, the game changed. Your best cameras are the Panasonic GH4 and Sony A7S. Either can use Canon lenses with a cheap $20 - $35 adapter, however Canon lenses being electronic aperture means you cannot change aperture.

You are honestly better off with any Sony E-Mount or Panasonic Micro 4/3 camera. You will save hundreds on the body and then you can use very cheap vintage lenses that are just as good as modern lenses.

Canon and Nikon are both excellent cameras, however Sony and Panasonic have many better choices when it comes to video.

As for sensor resolution, HD video is only 2MP and 4K is about 8MP. Sensor resolution is meaningless here. For Photos, the A7S takes much better pictures in my opinion than a 5D mkIII and that is 12mp vs 22mp. I own both and other than cropping there is no advantage in the Canon sensor. The 5D mkIII has some advantages for photography like large size, battery life, better tracking, but overall the A7S is a better Camera.

Mitchell Robinson

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
Sorry to jump on the boat a bit late here but i want to make sure you dont make a mistake when diving into DLSR territory.

First off, and MOST IMPORTANTLY! Make it clear to yourself that when you buy a camera with interchangeable lenses you are essentially buying into that brand. For example, If you buy Canon now and invest in 3-4 or even more lenses you are investing into canon bodies also. You don't want to find that down the track you want to swap ships and now have to not only buy a new body but all new lenses. My only advice in this area is to make sure you know exactly what you want to be shooting. Take a look at all the brands and pay special attention to what that brand is trying to achieve. Canon recently just stated they wanted to move away from video on their DSLR's. While they still want to include a video feature on their DSLR's (And im specifically referencing the new 5DS), they are no longer going to spend much time on upgrading their video side on their DSLR range. Thats some very concerning news if you are looking to buy into that market for video right now.

I would probably look into Panasonic and Sony more than Nikon and Canon at the moment as they seem to have a vision for their video in DSLR cameras.

Theres obviously other factors that will come into the decision like some of the stuff mentioned above. But the MOST IMPORTANT thing is knowing what your buying into.

Hope this helps!

Mitchell Robinson

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
I also want to address your concern on the layout of different brands.

I wouldn't worry much as most brands have roughly the same layout and name all their features similarly. If there are differences, they will only be minute and you should pick them up quite quickly!

Regards,