Can't apply firmware to Sharp TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfd

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
LC-37D64U is the TV model number. I downloaded the correct update file and transferred the SAL2A217.UVP file to a USB stick. I followed the on screen instructions to apply the update. The TV was able to identify the file on the USB stick. I proceeded to follow the instructions but I never saw any indication that the TV was actually applying the update. I repeated my process twice without success. I even called Sharp tech support and they walked me through another diagnostic process, then had me apply the firmware update again, no luck !!! I think their software inside the TV is broken and never did work.

mfd

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011

MFD here! Problem resolved! USB firmware updates can only be applied with a USB stick formatted as FAT16 and NOT FAT32. The first contact I had with Tech support told me it needed to be FAT32, which got me going down the wrong path. Even their FAQ support site makes no mention of this critical detail when applying updates to the TV.

mfd

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011

What makes this even more interesting is the fact that the USB stick they sent me was a 2GB stick. No stick off the shelf is formatted as a FAT16. Sharp promised that they would update the FAQ site and put that info up on their site so other users don't waste a lot of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.