Can't get TV sounds to work when connected to laptop

JimmyLuong

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hi,
I've been scratching my head for the past few hours trying to figure out how to get HDMI sounds working on my new Sony Bravia KDL-40R350b without any success. I've an Asus laptop running on window 8, it was last year model so it shouldn't be anything too old.

I tried to go in playback device and I only see one option for the sounds output (which was the laptop audio). I ticked show disable and disconnected options but nothing showed up. Went into device manager and there were 3 audio options available: High definition Audio (which has a yellow warning triangle), WDM, Realtek high definition audio. I tried to disable various one to see if anything showed up, but nothing.

Last I tried to use the sync function by trying adding my Sony TV as a device on my laptop. Unfortunately that didn't work either, right now I get the generic monitor and I can extends the displays, but no sounds.

Can anyone help please, I'm really out of ideas.

Vlad Rose

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
The other thing to do if it's Intel integrated graphics is to have the TV on before powering up the laptop. There was a bug with their HDMI (don't know if it's fixed or not) where it would only detect HDMI audio upon booting the machine; meaning a turned on TV would have to be present upon boot.

tallmanbrown

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
@JimmyLuong:

Re-Enable Sound Over HDMI on Sony Bravia KDL-40R350B:

On the TV's remote, go to Home > Settings > Preferences > Setup > Initial Setup

Re-run that initial TV setup and it should kick the HDMI audio signal in the pants. At least it did for me.