Question Can't Left Click Open Some Icons on Taskbar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2020
Glorious technology. I think I love computers about as much as I hate them sometimes. I've scanned the internet and tried various updates and changing different settings, but I haven't been able to solve this specific problem. On my Toshiba laptop, I can't left click open (and in case of the Action Center. right click either) some of the icons on the right portion of the taskbar beside the taskbar tray. Has anyone else ever had this issue and know how they fixed it?

I can open the icon for my cloud and Steam, but not the Action Center, Sound, Wifi or the date/time.

Thanks for any help.

Jul 21, 2020
Thank you for the reply, Helpstar.

The Toshiba model is Satellite L750. I realize it is on the older side. But up until this week. I was still able to open every icon on the taskbar. It is odd, because it is selective on the programs that won't open, which makes it feel like it is something other than a touchpad issue. For stuff like Wifi, Sound, Time/Date and Action Center it still shades when hovering the cursor over it and it acknowledges when I click on it, but nothing ever opens. I can open everything else on the taskbar.

I'd prefer to try to figure out how to resolve it rather than buying a USB mouse if I can.

Thanks again.

check windows integrity
open the command prompt as administrator and type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-an-elevated-command-prompt-2618088
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

clean boot
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

check the memory by running memtest.org usb autoinstaller (bootable USB flash drive)

check the hard drive for errors with its manufacturer´s tool

which windows version is it?

Jul 21, 2020
Thank you so much for the advice and links. Helpstar.

The Restore Health during the Command Prompt did not recognize any problems or issues.

I did a clean boot but I still can't open battery, wifi, sound, date/time and action center icons on the taskbar with a left click (and can't open action center at all).

How am I supposed to go about using the memtest? The latest edition seems to be from 2013 and you don't appear to be able to do a usable straight download. My ignorance is showing, I know.

I probably should also confess every few days I've got a BSOD with the cause changing each time from Kernel Mode to Equal Not Less errors. I've updated drivers and even did a full system reboot but have never been able to resolve it, so that may be tied in with this recent issue.

My operating system is Windows 10, and is fully updated. I may try to rollback and see if that solves things.

Once again, thanks for all the help so far.

Jul 21, 2020
I tried all the tests and there doesn't appear to be any memory issues. Is there anything else I should check? I still can't left click open the previously mentioned icons on the taskbar. There doesn't seem to be any other major notable issues with the touchpad.

Jul 21, 2020
I'd rather not reset my computer since I did that a few months back already, but for other issues. But if that is my last option then that is what I'll do. It is better than buying a new one, which I will probably have to end up doing before the end of the year anyway. There isn't any other possible reasons I can't open specific icons?

It doesn't look like Action Centre or a list of available wifi spots can open even if I go through settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.