Can't place 5.1 surround speakers to the sides. Ceiling or backwards?

Mat112

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
Hello,
my TV room doesn't really have the best shape for surround speakers placement. I heard that surround speakers should by on the sides, but i can't put them in there. Should I place them rather on the ceiling or backwards to achieve the best surround effect for watching movies?
Thanks

If you are doing 5.1 the speakers should be behind you. Usually facing towards you. Side speakers are the additional speakers for 7.1 and would not be correctly placed for 5.1
Usually the speakers would be above your head as they are in a movie theater.
The exception to this is if you set up an Atmos system which has specific height speakers that are ceiling speakers.
If you sit close to the back wall then side or rear mounted dipole speakers will give you a better effect than conventional speakers.

ssddx

Glorious
surround speakers should be on the sides. you can use them as rears instead and place them behind. due to the arrangement of my viewing area i use my rear speakers in rear mode instead of surround as well.

ssddx

Glorious
it would be best if they stayed at around ear level. if you have a system which includes calibration software (often comes on receivers.. uses a mic and plays test sounds) you could certainly mount them on the ceiling but it is not going to sound quite the same.

Mat112

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

Thanks for quick answer, so do you think that it will have better sound if I would rather put them backwards (like rear ones) although 5.1 is designed for surround speakers at the sides, or mounting them on the ceiling (at the sides) and pointing them at me ear (like this http://s288.photobucket.com/user/jmark42/media/IMG_0416.jpg.html) ?

ssddx

Glorious
5.1 can be either using surround speakers or using rear speakers. your pc will output either of the two formats.

which format is better? that depends on your preferences.

it may sound odd to have speakers on the ceiling from the rear unless you set up speaker delay by running calibration if using a home theater system. otherwise, its still down to preference.

you could always experiment to see which you like better.. its easy to patch a few screw holes used for temporary mounting.

If you are doing 5.1 the speakers should be behind you. Usually facing towards you. Side speakers are the additional speakers for 7.1 and would not be correctly placed for 5.1
Usually the speakers would be above your head as they are in a movie theater.
The exception to this is if you set up an Atmos system which has specific height speakers that are ceiling speakers.
If you sit close to the back wall then side or rear mounted dipole speakers will give you a better effect than conventional speakers.

Mat112

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

Correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought that surround speakers in 5.1 should be on the sides and 7.1 adds rear speakers, as it is written on websites of both Dolby Digital and DTS formats:
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/5-1-setup.html
http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Audio 0
W Audio 2
K Audio 4
S Audio 2
K Audio 1
T Audio 3
E Audio 3
N Audio 4
C Audio 1
A Audio 1
Can You Help Me Please Audio 1