Can't remove malware!!

hira__

Estimable
Sep 18, 2015
Ok so here goes...
I was looking for a free office suit and came across a link offering Microsoft office 2010 for free! Now that's not something you see everyday. I was excited for it I must admit and me being not cautious at all I downladed the link and installed the programme on my laptop.
Only after I installed the programme did I sense something not right as it didn't open up, didnt appear on my desktop (usually newly installed programmes do) or neither was it in my programmes list in control panel.
Then I knew something was wrong and I had installed something other than an office suite.

I ran malware bytes and found 6 viruses (one being a Microsoft office named file and 5 being something related with the registry being called 'PUP.Option.HomePageHelper' I removed them /quarantined them and then rebooted. When I ran the scan again 5 viruses appear. This time the MS office named file is gone but the 5 registry malware still exist. I've done this scan 5 times now then removed them and then rebooted. They still appear even though before the reboot it said successfully deleted/removed/quarantined.
I've also run programmes like adwcleaner and spybot. Still no success as in malware bytes those 5 viruses/malware still remains.

Please help I just don't know what to do!

Solution
The malware that keep recreating those files is likely from your registry. I recommend a system restore to a point before you downloaded that malware because it replace your infected registry with the one you use before it got infected. You don't have to reformat your harddrive and start over because your files are not harm and only the programs that was added since the system restore points gets remove which include the malware you got after that point. System restore are a time limited thing though before it get replace with newer version though.

Windows 10 system restore steps: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4588-system-restore-windows-10-a.html
Windows 8 system restore steps...

skitszo

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015
rootkit scan

malewarebytes has it in the custom scan.. doesn't do it by default

norton has a free one you can download called NPE

If your windows gets damaged.....you may need to reinstall windows....some viruses just do way to much damage to ever recover from.

hira__

Estimable
Sep 18, 2015
Ok,
So a malwarebytes scan just finished, once again showing the 5 malwares. I have quarantined them and I'm now rebooting. I hope this time they have gone but I ain't getting my hopes up. After the reboot I'll install avast and do the scan you recommended. I'll get back to you with the results soon. Thanks

hira__

Estimable
Sep 18, 2015
Ok so I ran avast scan and it came back with no viruses found. I'm assuming the virus is gone maybe??
I also have the full version of kaspersky already installed on my laptop. I'm just doing a scan with that now.
I don't really want to run another scan with malwarebytes incase those 5 dreaded malware appear again, especially seeing as avast results showed there were none. But I'm guessing I should.
And I installed a trial version of MS office from the actual site. It lasts for 60 days.after which I'll probably be getting a free office suit because it's kinda expensive to get the MS one. Student problems -_-

hira__

Estimable
Sep 18, 2015
Ok,
So I ran the full kaspersky scam which showed no threats/ viruses.
However when I ran malware bytes (again) the 5 errors show up.
I would have restored the laptop to factory so that everything could be wiped off the laptop and it could start afresh. However I have a phone backup on iTunes and can't risk losing that which I'll probly be needing in a weeks time after my phones been posted back to me after being repaired by Apple.
What I'm thinking is that I should ignore the 5 threats malwarebytes is showing, simply because both kaspersky and avast showed no viruses or anything to be worried about.
And then wipe clean the laptop to how it was when purchased after I have restored my phone using iTunes.
Is this the right way to be going??? Please advise.

skitszo

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015
use revo unistaller. its got scanners that look for files and registry fragemens after. and if you don't have a unistall option use the "hunter mode"

And you didn't say you ran the rootkit scans..... rootkit scans looks for stuff that loads pre windows like what you describe.

CWEric

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
The malware that keep recreating those files is likely from your registry. I recommend a system restore to a point before you downloaded that malware because it replace your infected registry with the one you use before it got infected. You don't have to reformat your harddrive and start over because your files are not harm and only the programs that was added since the system restore points gets remove which include the malware you got after that point. System restore are a time limited thing though before it get replace with newer version though.

Windows 10 system restore steps: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4588-system-restore-windows-10-a.html
Windows 8 system restore steps: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4692-system-restore-how-do-windows-8-a.html
Windows 7 system restore steps: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/700-system-restore.html

Solution

hira__

Estimable
Sep 18, 2015
Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm really grateful.
What I will do is try the revo uninstalleer and if that doesn't work I'll try restoring to an earlier restore point, before everything went wrong.
Hopefully by then it's all solved.
Thanks again everyone for your kind advice. I don't really know advanced computer stuff so it's all been a huge help in figuring things out.
:)