Capcom: Sony Breach Could Cost Us Millions

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A different viewpoint to those just attacking Sony etc.

Anyone can be hacked the issue is what as a consumer I hand over. I'm pretty careful using firewalls, AV, different passwords for different accounts etc. but there is a limit to what an individual can do. I like many others rely on Sony, Valve amongst others to look after any info that I hand over. I accept and understand that if someone is really determined they will get through.

Therefore I try to minimise the risk.

Its a pain but with PSN, I only use the credit top-ups that can be bought from shops, it limits risk but can be awkward.

I have a steam account for the PC and whilst I haven't bought anything for a while I don't store credit card info (I hope) on-line unless steam and others are lying.

The hackers/criminals will attack anything that may offer some financial gain. So anyone who hands over too much info' is asking for problems. Ultimately the individual has to be the first line of defence. Don't hand anything over you cannot lose. I use dummy email accounts (that don't have personal info or connect to friends) and have a credit card that has a tiny limit so that I cannot lose too much.

What has happened to Sony and many others over the years can be damaging to the companies and especially to the individuals affected. However we as consumers hand over too much info and are willing to repeatedly do so. We offer a nice target to the hacker.

As well as Sony etc. needing to monitor and protect the user info' each individual has to take some responsibility and look after themselves. So look after yourself, if you won't hand info over to a stranger why hand it to a company?

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]If you want to use the rape analogy.Its like the town whore one day closing up show (removing linux support), then the next day wearing a shirt that sais "Unrape-able" (you can't hack us, we removed linux!), then trash talking her previous customers (scare tactic lawsuit vs geo). Then a week later her old pimp rapes her, puts her ass in the hospital and cuts her face.[/citation]

LOL @ scare tactic lawsuit vs geo. What geo did was like making copies of the key to the whore's apartment and then handing them out to anyone who wanted one. A good locksmith should be able to replicate a key based on the lock, but ethically should not do so unless authorized by the lock's owner.

Had geo cracked the lock and only released a patch to re-enable home brew I doubt Sony would have sued. It's the fact he handed out the key that got him in trouble.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Too bad there isn't a way to keep those "Anonymous" accountable. Kind of ironic how they whine and moan about how corporations and governments need to be accountable yet they eagerly commit in activities that cause financial harms to companies, getting off scot-free.

The existence of the entire group is an ultimate exercise in contradiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.